ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I found a very reasonable place that sells vinyl lettering on line. I didn't want to spend much on my N number because someday I will replace the decals when I paint. Also, I wanted individual letters for the "Experimental" decal inside the plane instead of a bumper sticker type of deal.

I got both my N numbers and the "Experimental" decals for $11.41 total with free shipping. 3" N numbers were $3.12 for each side and the 2" experimental was $4.20 plus tax since I'm in California and so are they.

They messed up my N number but they are sending me replacements. Good thing though because this allows me to practice.

I specified the FAA requirements for the N number and they nailed it.

CIMG3420-1.jpg

Here I praticed with the one of the screwed up numbers and attached it to the inside of a scrap aileron of mine. (Long story, don't ask)

CIMG3421.jpg

Finally, the experimental treatment. Fake flowers compliments of my wife:

CIMG3436.jpg

The place is called AlwaysSign.com. Shipment was lightning quick!

The online price is certainly reasonable but any local sign shop can cut the vinyl letters for you. Find out where the local real estate agents and politicians get their signs made. :)

numbers N' letters

I guess that's why we say, 'Alpha" isn't it!....good example.

so sign shops are doing lettering for free now, hmmmm,
We used to charge $3 per letter, now it's pennies.

....time to get out of the business I guess.

Last edited:
Those prices are cheap... maybe too cheap. I can only say that my materials cost more than what they charged. Cheap vinyl will shrink and crack, particularly if left in the sun.

So, those letters might be A-OK for short term use, but I'd specify Avery A-9 or Oracal 951 vinyl if you want your vinyl letters to last forever.

Cheap price will be very small consolation if you're trying to remove a cracked, sticky mess in a year or two.

YMMV.