rv9av8tr

Well Known Member
I ran into an "interesting situation" regarding Vernier control cable lengths....

The Throttle, Mixture, Prop cables that come with the FWF kit are based on Van's prototype layout.

But there are numerous variables that will affect the builder;
Carb Vs FI,
Vertical Vs Horiz induction,
Panel or Sub-Panel mounted.

In my case, the Mixture was WAY too short and Throttle WAY too long... but the prop was just right. Hummm.... sounds like a bed time story I once heard.....

Van's carries various lengths of cables and are listed in the Accessories Catalog. I was able to trade the Throttle cable for shorter and it works fine.
But the Mixture is a problem. Because I mounted my Mixture in the Panel instead of the dropped down Sub-Panel and mounted it further to the right than Van's, I need AT LEAST 55". Van's longest cable is 51.5".

So I ordered an A-1760 style, 60" Mixture cable from Aircraft Spruce. When I tried to install it, the "working end" was WAY TO LONG!!!!! I called Van's and ACS Products in Lake Havasu, NV (who makes the cables for Van's AND A.S.) Turns out, Van's working end lengths are NOT standard cable lengths, but are several inches shorter. Van's will not special order from ACS Products, but A.S. will.

The key is, you have to tell A.S. the cable is for a Van's aircraft so that ACS Products knows to make the working end according to Van's lengths.
A Special Order doubles the price of the cable and is non-returnable. So be careful when you do your layouts so you know what you're getting into.

yep

I ordered A1760's from ACS and the throw is indeed too long to work with standard Van's V182 bracket. Sadly, I guess I waited too long to return them, and ACS won't take my cables back. So if you know anyone who wants some nice Vernier cables that don't work on our Van's, I'll make a great deal.

I ended up ordering the longest cables Van's sells for mixture and throttle for rv6/7/9. The mixture cable was just long enough. I have vertical IO-360.

vernier cable on the way

I ordered a vernier throttle cable from AS I believe the A 1760 model. ( 60 inches) . The original was 48 inch non vernier Vans standard installed on my RV9 O 320 (standard up draft carb). I wanted to move the throttle however, the 48 inch was maxed out . AS backordered the 1760 and now not due until 4/20/09 . Are you guys saying I'm not going to like it when it get here?

A.S. has to know the cable is for a Van's airplane

If you didn't tell A.S. that the cable was for a Van's airplane, you may very well get a cable that won't fit.

I ordered acs vernier thru spruce too, but I delt with the extra working end length by making my own brackets. Not too hard and now I can replace at lower cost...