Kahuna

Moderatoring
I was asked in another thread about my recent wing replace and fuel tanks. After 1200 hours on the Super 8, it was time for an upgrade.

Howd I get 97 gallons in my RV-8 wings?
You might recall that my original 8 wings had 2 30 gallon wing tanks plus a 13 gallon smoke tank located on the left wing in the wing walk area. These fuel tanks were just extended 2 bays each main tanks. Building these was pretty straight forward, but a pain. Add 2 bays, order extra skin, z-brackets, and so forth.
In wing smoke tank is very convenient for keeping the junk outta my plane. Smoke oil guys dont always keep it in the tank when filling. Further, I want ALL my baggage. I dont want any tanks in my baggage. I want the space for travel.

I have had plans where I wanted more fuel. Lots more fuel. 60 was not enough. Time for more. My good friend Pat Tuckey, aka ;Glider', had done some work in this department. Go here for his very considered response.

I liked his ideas, with a few exceptions. I did not like using the existing outboard skin and making it a permanent deal rivetted to the spar. Mine will surely leak on the first day and require me to remove the tank. ALso in Gliders testing, he had no need for the transfer pump. So. on I went with those items in mind.

I decided that I would build 4 standard vans tanks. Simple, easy repair, easy parts. If I whack a deer, I build another standard tank. But how to get around the pesky pre-drilled holes in the spar for the outboard forward LE skin?

I did it this way. Build the tanks. Set the outboard tanks up on the wing spar. ALign the outboard tank with the outboard skin. Use the holes in the tank skin as guides for drilling into the spar. Let the holes fall where they may. Its essentially what I did on my first set of wings for the 2 outboard bays. This will leave a nice ~4" gap between the tanks for plumbing. Only the inboard tanks have indicators. This makes fuel flow accuracy more important than before.

Z-brackets. I used 2 sided tape. Let the Z-brackets fall where they may. Put zbrackets on rear baffle with solid rivets not bucked. Tape rivets in place. Your just trying to get the zbracket to stay in place. Put 2 sided tape on zbracket side facing spar. Set tank in correct place. Push down so the 2 sided tape hold zbracket in place. Remove tank and brackets are in the permanent place you want them. Drill into spar web and your alignment is good to go.

Plumbing. In my installation, the engine only gets fuel from the inboard tanks. Further, the inboard tanks only vent to the outboard tanks. If there is fuel in the outboard tanks, it will get pulled into the inboard. Only the outboard tank is vented to the outside air. Testing has proved this to work fine. My outboard tank vent, vents at the fuse in the normal vans location. Note: Since a very sealed tank is now mission critical to the success of this senerio, the Vans usher caps are junk and had to go. I went with some double sealed locking caps from ACS. I must have caps that will NOT leak or I wont get the fuel pulled into the mains.

While I was building new wings, I went ahead and went with single piece top skins. Just cause.

But wait. 4 RV-8 tanks are only 84 gallons. Where is the other 13? Well I went ahead and built the same in wing smoke tank as before. Only this time I plumbed it so in case I ever need it to double as a fuel tank, its ready to go.

You dont get no pictures cause I didnt take any. Its just 4 tanks on the leading edge of the wing.

Did the wings slide into the fuse and the bolts line up? Like butter. When I lined up the plane to drill the rear spar, it required no wing movement/adjustment at all. Both sides perfect. Drill hole, done. A testement to the repeatability of the pre-punched Vans products.

Last edited:
So on top of Team RV commitments and everything else, you built new wings too! Nice job, and thanks for the write-up...appreciated!

Now if I can cypher up a way to get more fuel into a pair of clipped S6 wings (like F1 Rocket Sport Wings), I'm all over it. To the drawing board!

Another, perhaps related, side question: How much smoke oil do you guys burn in a show? I'm thinking way ahead on WC Raven stuff, and if I add fuel, I may add smoke oil capacity at the same time. Thanks!

Cheers,
Bob

Another, perhaps related, side question: How much smoke oil do you guys burn in a show?

Per plane this averages ~4 gallons depending on position. Guys with 3 gallon tanks had to upgrade to 5.
Guys with 5 gallon tanks modulate to the best of their ability so as to not run out for the big show ending.
A 6 gallon tank would meet the all demands of the pilots for our performance.
Funny thing is. The guy who needs the least, me cause im out front the most, has the most to burn (13 gallons). Strange.

Having the most smoke available does have its advantages. One being that many of our shows we do a circle the jumpers, then a missing man, then the routine, no landing for more oil. The missing man -3 burns a ton of smoke. Guess who gets to be the missing man due to excessive smoke oil availibility?:D

Last edited:
Why not go all-electric with a small cube pump for each tank, that way you can run them all the time and not have to worry about inadvertently opening the inboard caps.?

Why not go all-electric with a small cube pump for each tank, that way you can run them all the time and not have to worry about inadvertently opening the inboard caps.?

I think you are assuming that fuel can flow between outboard to inboard with gravity making opening the inboard cap a problem? They are not connected by a low line between them.
There is a high loop between the tanks. The line from outboard to inboard gets as high as possible in the service area between tanks and so it wont drain from one tank to the other. True with dihedral, the outboard tank completely full, there would be a bit of head pressure to gravity feed into the inboard tank. But very little.

It requires draw. Only fuel that leaves the inboard in replenished fro outboard. Either with fuel if there is any or air.

I hope I understood what you were asking.

I did when you said that the standard caps were inadequate.

So if you have any sort of leak in the cap won't that prevent you from drawing from the outboard tanks?

Last edited:
range

What do you project your range will be, and will the extra fuel load affect the amount of baggage (and passenger weight) you can carry?
Tom

What do you project your range will be, and will the extra fuel load affect the amount of baggage (and passenger weight) you can carry?
Tom

Range in this configuration will be 1500nm with vfr reserves. Im working on getting it to the ~2300nm range.

Weight is TBD with further testing.

How long is the runway?

Tom

The only plane I have ever flown with a higher wing loading than Kahuna's super-8 was the F-105 Thud. And not by much! :rolleyes:

I kept my mouth zipped for 10 months :D Now I can unzip - I saw work on the tanks during my stay at RV Hotel :) Impressive.

...if you have any sort of leak in the cap won't that prevent you from drawing from the outboard tanks?

That's part of the reason I'm going with a pump in addition to a suction pickup (two separate pickups) on each outboard tank. I plan to operate just like Pat, pump on for takeoff or any time it looks like the outboards aren't feeding. I'll have capacative senders in all 4 tanks.

With the clipped HRII wing, I could only fit 16 gal in each outboard for a total of 74. Hoping for 5hr/1000nm range with a healthy reserve.

Per plane this averages ~4 gallons depending on position. Guys with 3 gallon tanks had to upgrade to 5.
Guys with 5 gallon tanks modulate to the best of their ability so as to not run out for the big show ending.
A 6 gallon tank would meet the all demands of the pilots for our performance.
Funny thing is. The guy who needs the least, me cause im out front the most, has the most to burn (13 gallons). Strange.

Having the most smoke available does have its advantages. One being that many of our shows we do a circle the jumpers, then a missing man, then the routine, no landing for more oil. The missing man -3 burns a ton of smoke. Guess who gets to be the missing man due to excessive smoke oil availibility?:D

Great gouge, thanks! Looks like upgrade time...3.5 to 5.5 (or a custom job for more). Extra smoke and extra HP for the MM -3...mind if I follow your lead! :D

I'm interested in how you did this?

Me too (looked on your web site for it...still trying not to pester...will the questions never end? ;)) Smell...pun intended...like another thread?

Cheers,
Bob

hum

This is very interesting to me. More fuel, longer range fits in my planning for my 9A, but with cruise speeds under 200, you still have to out about every 600 miles, right?
IF you can figure out how to cruise at 250-300 with that range---I'd really be interested in that--oh, with a similiar fuel burn. I know---we cant have everything. might be a neat discussion--
Tom

Range in this configuration will be 1500nm with vfr reserves. Im working on getting it to the ~2300nm range.

Weight is TBD with further testing.

Red flag time

More fuel, longer range fits in my planning for my 9A-----
Tom

The 9 is a totally different wing, IIRC. It is not designed (stressed??) for aerobatics----and is longer.

What worked on an 8 may not be appropriate for a 9.

I would be sure to do a bit of informational digging before making a quad tank setup in your plane.

I did it this way. Build the tanks. Set the outboard tanks up on the wing spar. ALign the outboard tank with the outboard skin. Use the holes in the tank skin as guides for drilling into the spar. Let the holes fall where they may. Its essentially what I did on my first set of wings for the 2 outboard bays. This will leave a nice ~4" gap between the tanks for plumbing. Only the inboard tanks have indicators. This makes fuel flow accuracy more important than before.
~~~~
Plumbing. In my installation, the engine only gets fuel from the inboard tanks. Further, the inboard tanks only vent to the outboard tanks. If there is fuel in the outboard tanks, it will get pulled into the inboard. Only the outboard tank is vented to the outside air. Testing has proved this to work fine. My outboard tank vent, vents at the fuse in the normal vans location. Note: Since a very sealed tank is now mission critical to the success of this senerio, the Vans usher caps are junk and had to go. I went with some double sealed locking caps from ACS. I must have caps that will NOT leak or I wont get the fuel pulled into the mains.

Interesting.. I built tanks into the wing tips (like Jon Johanson's) getting about 9.5 gals per side. But I like your solution better.
I put a direct gravity feed between the tip tank and the main. Vented it the same way you did (tip tank back to fuselage vent). I did use van's caps successfully, but found that I needed to keep them lubed with "Fuel Lube" to keep them air tight, especially the lower tank.
I fly a lot of IFR, so also put a alternate tip tank vent in the end of the wing by using a Andair check valve just in case the main vent gets blocked.
Have you had any issues with the long vent line back to the fuselage. I've found that if the tank vents fuel into the vent line, it results in quite a suction necessary to draw fuel out of the main tank. The tip check valve helps that situation out a lot....

Quad Tanks

Hello Kahuna,

What a great idea! I am fascinated by what you did. How about some pictures?
I'd like to see how you handled the skin gap between the tanks and the location of the tie down ring mount.

I guess from your description that the inter-tank plumbing feeds from the bottom of the outboard tank to the top in the inboard tank. Is that correct?

I'm sitting here looking at my partly completed -7 wings thinking that this is something I might want to do. More info, please!

Hello Kahuna,

What a great idea! I am fascinated by what you did. How about some pictures?
I'd like to see how you handled the skin gap between the tanks and the location of the tie down ring mount.

I guess from your description that the inter-tank plumbing feeds from the bottom of the outboard tank to the top in the inboard tank. Is that correct?

I'm sitting here looking at my partly completed -7 wings thinking that this is something I might want to do. More info, please!

IMG_20110119_083557_small.jpg

Wing tie down remained unchanged.
Few other pics here.

There seems to be huge interest in this topic, given all the threads. I am also planning to add tanks to my 9.

Doug, would it make sense to start a new forum section on Long Range RVs, or some similar title?

Hello Kahuna,
Are you in for one more question? How did you route the outboard tank vent line to the fuselage?
Thanks,

Hello Kahuna,
Are you in for one more question? How did you route the outboard tank vent line to the fuselage?
Thanks,

Like a stardard tank, except... Normally the vent line terminiates near the filler open to the inside of the tank. Mine terminates in the inboard tank to a bulkhead fitting on the inboard tank outboard rib. Then though a line into the outboard tank, then near the filler cap of the outboard tank its open there.

So essentially the vent line passes through the inboard tank for convenience routing only.

There ain't no free lunch

Hey Mike:

I am told buy an ex-Quantas 747 Captain that you should figure it's gonna take 10% of you fuel to carry the fuel. In other words, if you are loaded with 90 gals, 9 of those will be used to simply carry the 90 gals along. This gives you 81 to use the in equations for range/endurance. I figure this fella had a bit of experience with long range planning, so I listened.

That is a nifty transfer system - no electric doo-dads to screw up & leave you dragging around a lot of useless weight. I like it!

Carry on!
Mark

Hey Mike:

I am told buy an ex-Quantas 747 Captain that you should figure it's gonna take 10% of you fuel to carry the fuel. In other words, if you are loaded with 90 gals, 9 of those will be used to simply carry the 90 gals along. This gives you 81 to use the in equations for range/endurance. I figure this fella had a bit of experience with long range planning, so I listened.

That is a nifty transfer system - no electric doo-dads to screw up & leave you dragging around a lot of useless weight. I like it!

Carry on!
Mark

Experience in the 747, yes - but that does not transfer apples-to-apples to other aircraft. The induced drag from the wings is a direct product of total weight supported by the wing, and the portion of that weight (and induced drag) that can be attributed to the excess fuel is the percentage of excess fuel weight to total aircraft weight. His excess fuel load represents a much larger percentage of total aircraft weight than does ours.

Will we burn more fuel to carry our fuel? Certainly - but I don't think 10% is an accurate figure. If you look at Van's numbers for solo weight versus max gross weight, you will see that the Vans design does not lose much speed with that moderate weight gain. I would be surprised if we lose as much as 2%.