N2756C

Builders:

After much development, our new sliding canopy fairing for the RV6, 7 and 9 is now shipping.

See this link for some additional info: http://pilotlights.net/pilot_light_ecommerce_012.htm

For some background, we began making a one-piece windscreen fairing earlier this year and have shipped quite a few. Based on popular demand, we've created a full-size slider canopy fairing that replaces the side and aft canopy curtains.

The development costs and labor for making these parts are significant but, as one customer has said, "these are the best looking fiberglass parts he's ever seen for a Van's kit."

Made from multiple layers of bidirectional weave fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin, each part is fully primed to reduce pinholes. Expect to spend some time on final finishing but these are huge time savers.

Please email any questions or comments.

Thanks,

Robert
www.pilotlights.net
(see the RV Fairings tab)

Every canopy frame is bent uniquely and every windscreen is cut uniquely, sometimes drastically so. I'm curious how you could fabricate a fiberglass skirt that could possibly fit any plane other than that which you used as the mold for your pre-fabbed kit? Genuinely curious. Good luck with your business.

It is certainly VERY tempting to purchase this item and save a lot of time and sanding effort! I was wondering if there is some way to tint the inside of the product so that you don't see the fiberglass thru the windscreen.
I would also be very interested in hearing from anyone who has purchased this product. How well did it fit? How difficult was it to apply?
If the product is truly as good as you say and as good as it looks I think it is a great idea!!

Peter K
9A

Every canopy frame is bent uniquely and every windscreen is cut uniquely, sometimes drastically so. I'm curious how you could fabricate a fiberglass skirt that could possibly fit any plane other than that which you used as the mold for your pre-fabbed kit? Genuinely curious. Good luck with your business.

I was wondering exactly the same thing. Is there some method of adjustment?

Additional Information

Thanks for the questions - I'll answer what I can here.

For tinting, it is possible to tint some epoxy resin and apply it to the inside of the windshield fairing before installation or to use the tinted epoxy when bonding the fairing to the windscreen. We've purchased some black tint (available at boating suppliers who sell epoxy products) and are testing this. In the future, we may apply the bottom layer (the top layer in the mold) using this material so that the 'color' of the inside of the part is tinted black.

As to fit, it's a common question. Thankfully, since the RV7 and RV9 use matched hole technology the fuselage shape doesn't vary much. The canopy frame and roll bar can vary a bit but most builders adjust them so that the plexi of the sliding canopy is flush with the fuselage. The fiberglass parts have the right shape and are a bit oversized so they can be trimmed for the final installation. Having one full sized part permits you to tape the fairing in place, test and adjust the fit, and then bond and rivet. Additional adjustments are possible with a heat gun but usually not necessary.

For the windshield fairing, we see that builders often separate the canopy in slightly different places and most commonly have a slightly different angle to the windscreen (the angle varies based on how and where they removed materials from the bottom of the windscreen). So, to work with those variables, we oversized the part in the areas that overlap the bottom edge of the windscreen, the forward fuselage and the rollbar area. We're hearing back from builders using the part that it takes some trimming and adjustment but it's workable.

What's nice about the fairings are they have some of the critical dimensions and contours built-in, such as the transition from the forward fuselage to the windscreen (which takes a long time to taper correctly when you build this area up from scratch). Also the over-the rollbar area is curved to close the gap to the sliding canopy and the side and aft skirts are curved to match the profile built-into the fuselage structure.

With all that being said, any part like this needs some finishing to get it to fit your installation to your satisfaction. Having done my airplane both ways, I can add that it does save time and result in a better looking finished product. I was a first time builder in 2005 when I did this portion of my RV9A and was never perfectly satisfied with the results of my windscreen fairing and canopy work despite redoing it quite a bit. I hope these parts help other builders complete their projects a little faster and with improved results.

Robert

Last edited:
Seeking RV8 Builder in SoCal

We've received some requests for a similar windscreen fairing and sliding canopy fairing for the RV8. If there are any builders with unpainted RV8s in the LA/San Diego area, please email me via PM.

We'd like to find an aircraft that we can use as the source for creating a mold. Unpainted is always easier to work with than painted. With a painted airplane, there is always a chance that the mold process damages the finished paint. It doesn't always happen but there's always a chance.

Thanks!

Has anyone tried this?

Hi,

I'm quite interested in this fairing. Is there anyone out there who has tried it? Any replies gratefully received.

Derek.

Updated Information Sheet available online

We've updated the downloadable information sheet on the RV 6, 7 and 9 Windscreen fairing and the Sliding Canopy Fairing at the following link:

http://www.pilotlights.net/pilot_light_ecommerce_012.htm

The updated information includes some new installation photos and detailed installation steps for those builders considering using a preformed fairing.

Thanks.

thanks

Thanks for bringing this to the market - it looks very well done. I'm going to consider it for my -9A slider. Is there any reason that it would matter how the canopy is attached (traditional vs. Sikaflex)?

The skirting looks terrific. I'm considering one of the modifications to allow a slider to tip-up for loading the baggage area. Are there any restrictions to using a tip-up modification with your product?

Thanks.

RV 6 7 9 Slider Fairing

I'm not aware of any reason the tip up / slider modification wouldn't work...but then I've never actually seen one of these in person. The fiberglass slider fairing is exactly the same size as you would build the fairing in metal so, if there's not any modifications needed, then it should work.

As to Sikaflex, I don't believe there is any issue and think that at least one of the builders who used the windshield fairing also bonded the windshield using the product. Personally, I like knowing there is hardware keeping things in place.

Also, I do know that it is possible to install the windscreen a little differently if you use the fairing. You can bond the windscreen to the fairing and then bond the fairing to the airplane and roll-bar. It doesn't have to be done that way but it has been done.

Thanks!