Gary Baker

Well Known Member
I thought there might still be some -6 builders out there who might be able to use this info.

I just finished constructing my homemade version of the fuel selector cover/manual trim bracket, ala the RV-7/9 (I believe). My Vans-provided parts for the -6 came with the (now-defunct) center post upon which the throttle/mixture/trim/etc were installed. These parts will not be used because I like the openness under the panel, as many others have stated.

I decided to make my own parts for the Andair fuel selector and also accommodate the manual trim cable. I started with a cardboard mock-up, clamped into the desired position, took measurements, and sat in the cockpit to make sure this would work out ok.

I then cut the top pieces out of .063 material and the side pieces out of .040 material. Having the cardboard mock-up also helped me to see the angles that needed to be cut out of the bent angles.

The method of installing everything was determined. I ran across a great tip by Vernon Little (www.vx-aviation.com/rv9a) who stated that he made his trim bracket removable. I drilled everything together and installed the nutplates and have a functional cover.

Hope this helps someone!

Unless I'm missing something, the point on the front of your fuel selector box is going to absolutely kill you when you try and climb under the panel. Climbing under there is bad enough without a pointy thing to dig into your back or side.

Remember you've gotta get under there at least once a year to inspect things during your condition inspectoin.

The pointy end is removable

Thanks for looking, Kyle.

The front piece slides in under the fuel selector cover and held in place with screws, just for that reason. It is removable.

RV7 FF Kit has what you need....

You can get the parts as part of the 7 FF kit and with some minor modifications make them fit very nicely. They are especially helpful if you are going with AFP injection as there is more to fab if you do it on your own. You also get the tunnel parts which are very handy for routing wires, fuel lines, etc... might save yourself some time vs fabbing on your own.

I've tried RV-7 parts before....

and they did not fit into the -6. I'm talking about the brackets for the ELT and the strobe power supply. Vans' have changed just enough dimensions between the -6 and the -7 to make items either unusable or create more work than they're worth. I installed the -7 crotch strap kit and had to modify each bracket because of rib spacing changes.