RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I compiled this list with help from members on VAF. If I had this list before I started I would have purchased all of these items to have on hand when needed.

Lubricants

LPS2 ? General use- ideal for control bearings or other moving parts
Lubriplate-something to do with prop, I used this to grease the aileron bell crank bushing surface.
WD40 ? removes glued labels
White Lithium grease - lube inner workings of the pneumatic squeezer
Silicone lubricant - adjustable rudder pedal guide tube
Boelube stick- Lubricant used for extending the life of drill bits, countersinks, reamers
EZ Lube - (fuel system)
Cutting oil - (for tapping & threading)
Air tool oil

Sealants

Pro-Seal ? Fuel tank sealer
Permetex Thread Sealant with Teflon ? Seal pipe threads like fitting into brake masters

Adhesives

Pro-Seal ?general purpose adhesive (static ports, exhaust ramp vibration control)
RTV Blue ? rudder and elevator crack control, or just to stick something to aluminum, the ?Blue Ultra? I hear does not have any that will be corrosive or collect moisture.
RTV Red (high temp) ?
Super glue ? hold washer to nut while installing on bolts or holds shim in place until fastener is installed

Paints/Primers

Van's powder coat touch-up paint (weld mounts)
Alodine
Rattle can self etching primer ? used for small parts (SW 988, NAPA 7220)

Solvents

Acetone
MEK
Naphtha
Lacquer Thinner

Fiberglass work materials

West System epoxy and the many accessories used in fiberglass work.....whole 'nother subcategory.

Miscellaneous

Torque Seal ? mark bolt after torque is set

Hylomar and Brake Parts Cleaner

Mike,
I would highly recommend adding Hylomar to your sealants list. Hylomar was developed by Rolls Royce's Aviation division. It is sold in nearly every auto parts store in the USA under the Permatex brand. It is a blue translucent paste. It never hardens. This means that it won't plug up oil passageways (essential for crankcase halves, accessory covers and sumps) or damage your oil pump. It will not crack over time due to constant thermal cycles (engine heating and cooling). Remember, it never hardens. It cleans off parts easily and allows temporary assembly, dis-assembly and re-assembly.

Also add aerosol brake parts cleaner to your solvents list. This is also available at any auto parts store. It's main ingredient is trichloroethylene (industrial solvent). It's great for cleaning petroleum based products off of any surface. It mixes with oil and grease. It then evaporates and takes the petroleum product with it. It does not leave any residue behind, when used in sufficient quantity. I use it as the last step in cleaning off gasket surfaces before re-assembly or application of a sealant. It also substitutes for the cleaner recommended by Loctite, prior to applying any of their anaerobic sealants. Lastly, it's super handy & fast for cleaning the exterior of a leaking engine while trying to locate the source of an oil leak. It's also handy for cleaning oil and grease off of your clothes! Don't want to get in trouble with "she who must be obeyed". :D

Charlie Kuss

PS Your wife's nail polish or automotive touch up paint will work in place of Torque Seal. Just don't steal her favorite shade.

Last edited:
It's just so wrong!

You forgot the beer:D

This is a service to the cans. Aluminum should never end up as cans made from 3104. It should be 2024-T3! Help those cans be re-cycled. Help them "be all they can be". Help those cans be reincarnated as RVs.
Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India! :p
Charlie Kuss

Last edited: