koda2

Well Known Member
I was told everybody knew this trick but then somebody asked me how I did it so fast so I'm posting this.

You can buy really cheap nylon ties from say Harbor Freight by the jarful and they make excellent "third hands." In this case, I think better than safety wire, for installing double Adel clamps.

dscn9156.jpg

I make a noose out of the tie first. Put on the first Adel, line it up, and lasso it at the base with the tie and cinch it up just until it stays where you want it. The screw holes will line up and will most likely hold the screw as well.

Install the 2nd Adel and lasso it as well if it gives you trouble. In this case, doing the service bulletin on injector liines, I only needed one. Once you have the screw and nut in place, snip the tie(s) and pull before final tightnening.

dscn9157.jpg

Dave A
6A build

That's Faster Than My Way

I have been tying them with wire bundle lacing tape. This sure seems faster.

Bob Axsom

why didn't I think of that

I've always used .020 safety wire, with its own inherent problems, this seems WAY better,

Thanks for sharing.

I've found that hemostats work really well for me ... just a quick squeeze to install or remove them. The shorter ones are better and a combination of straight and curved jaws makes it easy to get into awkward places. I thought that the jaws might break, but I've used the same two pairs on several dozen clamps with no problems.

I've found that hemostats work really well for me ... just a quick squeeze to install or remove them. The shorter ones are better and a combination of straight and curved jaws makes it easy to get into awkward places. I thought that the jaws might break, but I've used the same two pairs on several dozen clamps with no problems.

That is how I do the "easy" ones. For the more complicated contraptions of 3+ adel clamps, I use safety wire. Yeah, I have one or two of those instances in my airplane :).

I gave this tip a try today while securing my fuel distributor lines to my pushrod tubes. Great tip! Very nice pictures to, BTW you need a new set of dikes.
Ryan

Make do

... BTW you need a new set of dikes.
Ryan

Yeah, maybe so, the kids need shoes too, but I'm still buyin a kit airplane!:D

Actually this pair has been demoted to general duty and some better ones do the important stuff.

Dave A.
6A build

Thank you Dave. Where were you ten years ago when I was building? Some of those clamps gave me fits. I'll know better going forward.

Chris

Put an anchor nut on the adel clamp

I put an anchor nut on some of the Adel clamps that are hard to get at or need to come off occasionally.
I used one leg anchor nut and bent it 90 degrees so the thread part obviously lines up with the hole, put a screw in to tighten anchor nut to clamp and drill one 3/32 hole in the last hole of the anchor nut and with the rubber removed, squeeze a 3/32 rivit to hold anchor nut in place. Put the rubber back on and good to go. I think you may be able to get Adel clamps now with swaged on rivnuts now. Morris.