Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I installed a FAB drain on my RV-7A after about 3 months of first flight. I have been flying it for almost 5 years now without any issues since the install.

Clarification: I have a Silver Hawk FI and it does not leak any gas. I believe the gas slowly accumulates in the FAB was from priming for hot starts. Talked with engine and FI manufacture about it, not uncommon.

I installed the drain because I found that the holes drilled per Van's instructions allowed gas that had collected in the bottom of the FAB to drip down onto the nose gear leg and then down onto the nose wheel pant.

So I have posted the link to my installation here so it might help other builders considering putting a limit switch in.

http://www.experimentalaero.com/FAB drain tube.pdf

It is also on my website under the Builders Tips tab.

Last edited:
You may want to have your carb looked at, mine doesn't ever leak. (I do not have a primer installed.)

You may want to have your carb looked at, mine doesn't ever leak. (I do not have a primer installed.)

There is leaking, and then there is raw 100LL possibly emitted if you pump the throttle when the engine is not running - which is some folks priming technique.

I was a passenger in a -6A at Bakersfield on a hot day and we had an airbox fire - we didn't know it until an alert line boy rushed over with a fire extinguisher.

Paul,
Regular fuel drainage from the FAB drain holes is not normal.
I would be checking for a sinking carb. float (somewhat common problem).

No Carb

My setup is a FI (Silver Hawk). When priming for a hot starts not uncommon to have some gas find its way back down to the FAB. Not really excessive priming, just starting with a known flooded condition.

Talked with engine and FI manufacture about it, not uncommon. Others with FI with vertical induction have experienced as well.

Your mileage may vary......

My setup is a FI (Silver Hawk). When priming for a hot starts not uncommon to have some gas find its way back down to the FAB. Not really excessive priming, just starting with a known flooded condition.

Talked with engine and FI manufacture about it, not uncommon. Others with FI with vertical induction have experienced as well.

Your mileage may vary......

Ahh, ok
Since you have a FAB I assumed you had a carb

I never start FI engines with the flooded technique so don't see that problem on any of our airplanes.

Last edited:
Hot starts in AZ at 2600'

Ahh, ok
Since you have a FAB I assumed you had a carb

I never start FI engines with the flooded technic so do see that problem on any of our airplanes.

I have tried several hot start procedure and the one I found works best is mixture and throttle fwd, prime for about 2-3 seconds, throttle cracked, mixture ICO and crank. Once started advance the mixture.

Keep in mind that I don't get gas accumulating into the FAB all the time. It just happened when I was initially flying the plane and working on hot start procedures. After I installed the drain tube, I can no longer determine if it happens during my hot starts now.