When drilling out pop rivets, first take a prick punch and gently tap the center mandril down past the head of the main shank of the rivet. Then take a shank-sized drill of the rivet and drill the rivet head down to the mandril. Then, with a punch, break the head off the rivet. Take the same size punch and gently tap the rest of the rivet out of the hole.;)

Drill a 1/4" hole in the end of an old bucking bar. Put the hole over the rivet tail, bracing the sheet metal with the mass of the bar.

Pop Rivet Removal

A quick and easy way for the plain universal head hardware store type pop rivets is just drill off the head with a 7/16" or 1/2" bit. I use a electric screwdriver and turn the bit very slowly with moderate pressure. As you get close to the skin the almost gone rivet head will usually twist off cleanly. This method never seems to grab and spin the rivet. Little chance of damage if done carefully.

Don B
RV9 Rebuild in Progress

Removing Pop Rivets

I'm sure we have all had to remove pop rivets at some point. This may make a good Hints for Homebuilders video. I'm not sure how to get this into a video for such use. Our chapter shows couple of the HFH at each monthly meeting. Members really enjoy and it adds to chapter attendance and knowledge.