RScott

Well Known Member
Well after building the tail section, the wings and much of the fuselage, I finally found an easier way to drill holes for nutplates quickly & simply. And it isn't spending $35 on a nutplate drill jig, either.

What I did before, was to screw the nutplate into position and use it as a drill jig. It worked, but when I had to put nutplates on a U channel, the method became cumbersome because I would have to run the screws in from inside the "U". So if that's what you are doing, try this instead--it took less than a couple minutes to drill holes for 4 nutplates:

First prepare a nutplate by running a screw all the way in from the back side( i.e., the opposite way it normally goes into the nutplate). You'll probably have to tap it to get it to go in easily. Then drill the center hole in your aircraft part with a #21 bit, which is just barely large enough for a #8 screw. Insert the screw in the hole in the part and clamp one ear of the nutplate in position with a small spring clamp and drill the other hole.

I finish up by enlarging the center hole to #19, just because with my workmanship I need to allow for a little slop.

If someone has a better system, I would like to hear about it.

Last edited:
Or try Ebay

I got about 8 templates from ebay, all the sizes I would ever want and some for corners and nutplates with both rivet holes on one side, all this for under $40 shipped to my door. Too bad I had already paid for a new #8, oh well I more then made up for it!

KC

If someone has a better system, I would like to hear about it.
I've tried every imaginable way to install nutplates and the bottom line is no other technique is quicker, simpler, more accurate or foolproof than using the proper nutplate jig. You don't have to pay a Kings Ransom to buy them either. eBay can be your friend. Just don't get caught up in a bidding war. Lots of fish in that sea.

2u8lajd.jpg

I've tried every imaginable way to install nutplates and the bottom line is no other technique is quicker, simpler, more accurate or foolproof than using the proper nutplate jig. You don't have to pay a Kings Ransom to buy them either. eBay can be your friend. Just don't get caught up in a bidding war. Lots of fish in that sea.

2u8lajd.jpg

Rick,

I hate to disagree, but...my Omark/Winslow 688 Nutplate drill is quicker, simpler, more accurate and almost foolproof. It drills and countersinks both holes in one pull of the trigger. Plus if you ever need a prop for a whacked out sci-fi movie, nothing looks more like a death ray gun.

Your advice about ebay is good, that's where I got three of the drills for 50 bucks shipped.