sf3543

Well Known Member
I have found that this method is very easy to use and requires only a few parts to make.
About a 4' length of pipe/conduit either 1" or 3/4'
Two straps, the next size larger than the conduit.
A pipe wrench

alsx1s.jpg

Put the tape on the leading first, then slide it under the pipe and stick it on, or just lay it in place and slide the conduit in from the side over the LE to be curled.
Then use the pipe wrench to turn the conduit. You only need to turn it about 90* to make the bend. (I taped over the screw head on the straps to keep from scratching the skin)
Put the one strap in the slot where the heim is. The heim was even installed when I did this one.
For RV3 and RV6 surfaces that aren't counter weighted its even easier since the pipe can extend beyond each end.
The picture is of a RV8 rudder and I used a 3/4' conduit, but 1" would have probably worked a little better. The curve is perfectly uniform along the entire length.
When finished, peel off the tape and slide the conduit out.
You may need to reposition the straps for the other side, unless your table surface is just the right length, but that is no big deal.
Using this method, you can do it by yourself in a few seconds for each bend.
Making more elaborate tools, such as a socket welded into the tube is not required since you only rotate it a little bit.

Last edited:
Great minds!
In the day, we passed around a solid steel pipe that had a slot machined in it. It was much heavier but made this little chore easy.

Great minds think alike is right!

Its amazing how people can have the same idea and execute it just a little bit differently.
I hadnt seen Dans post before, ha!