colors!

Good tip.

I also like to keep in mind:

T P O E L F D Z

and

O H P N T 5

(The 20/20 lines on a few eye charts)

:)

I've been going to the eye doctor once a year since about 2nd grade. I find that my AME's equipment is marginal at best. If he knows I've recently been to the eye doc, he never even questions my vision.

I'm still correctable to a little better than 20/20 with no cheaters as of today... Things are definitely starting to be fuzzy up close so that may change soon! I always struggle with at least a couple of pages on the AME's flip-through color vision book. I've always wondered if those are just control pages. My eye doc friend says I have zero issues with my color vision.

My opthalmologist was a college roommate with my AME!

Doesn't hurt!

+1 on optometrist

Having a difficult time picking out numbers from
circles of colored dots? Go to your optometrist and take the Farnsworth test and pass with flying colors!

An optometrist will not only have multiple tests (color plates, colored objects to put in order) but will also have the correct environment (amount of light, type of light) to properly illuminate the test. The Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) test, according to my optometrist, is notorious for inaccurate administration - most fluorescent lighting emits the "wrong" color spectrum to enable picking out the dots.

My "failure" of the FALANT decades ago was never questioned, became part of my permanent medical record, and closed a number of career options "You can't see color? You'll never be a pilot (electrician, EOD tech...)"

A smart optometrist opened my eyes, so to speak, when he showed me how the test should be conducted; I'm not color deficient at all! That said, I reserve the right to ascribe fashion faux pas to any source that comes to mind...

My AME is an old timer from the military. His eye chart's are simple old fashioned wall charts and his color test is pointing to pictures, coffee mugs, whatever, and asking what color they are. For his hearing test, he stands behind you and whispers. He is 83 years old. Told me that's the way he was trained way back then in his military days and it works just as good today.

Good point

An optometrist will not only have multiple tests (color plates, colored objects to put in order) but will also have the correct environment (amount of light, type of light) to properly illuminate the test. The Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) test, according to my optometrist, is notorious for inaccurate administration - most fluorescent lighting emits the "wrong" color spectrum to enable picking out the dots.

My "failure" of the FALANT decades ago was never questioned, became part of my permanent medical record, and closed a number of career options "You can't see color? You'll never be a pilot (electrician, EOD tech...)"

A smart optometrist opened my eyes, so to speak, when he showed me how the test should be conducted; I'm not color deficient at all! That said, I reserve the right to ascribe fashion faux pas to any source that comes to mind...

Very interesting. The doc was planning on administering
The test in a poorly lit room. I questioned the amount
of light and type of lighting. The doc. Agreed and administered
The test in a room with natural sunlight. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
My doc has a John Deere sign and an NCSU Wolfpack logo in the room.
I have not failed yet. :)

also do not forget.

D E P O T E K

that is the line on a lot of eye charts.:D

when he says read the bottom line i just say,

p r i n t e d i n c h i n a

also do not forget.

D E P O T E K

that is the line on a lot of eye charts.:D

when he says read the bottom line i just say,

p r i n t e d i n c h i n a

I'll give you 20/30...the chart should read:

D E F P O T E C :D

...space cowboys do it best! :)

...I always chuckle at the scene where the guys, ( not RV pilots perhaps) remove thier glasses and rattle off the letters...even backwards????

i see my optometrist has a new chart, LOTS of new lines of letters....so beware!!

About the Farnsworth 15 colour -vision test; I tried it online, and in about a minute did arrange them 1 - 15 on the first try! yay!....but so what?
MOT doesn't use or recognize this to my knowledge.

I don't do well on the numbers from coloured dots, and have a 'daylite only' restriction on my license because of it.
apparently the signal light gun practical test is now not permitted either.
I also tried the old 'lantern' test in the doc's office on some 1950's machine, and did not pass, although it was not administered with the correct wait times in a darkened room etc.

Interesting...once I passed the color vision test decades ago, my AME never gave it to me again...he said "you're either colorblind or not...you don't 'go' colorblind" so there was no purpose in repeating the test...

I know this guy, who got medical and while getting eye test, Dr. would say read the 5th line down that says A G S T S G (or whatever letters it was)

It became a short term memory test instead of eye test.

Interesting...once I passed the color vision test decades ago, my AME never gave it to me again...he said "you're either colorblind or not...you don't 'go' colorblind" so there was no purpose in repeating the test...

I failed one of the newer tests but passed the older color test that was in the little book they used to use with flying colors. Don't remember all the procedures but I got a paper from the FAA that says I don't have to take the color portion of the eye exam ever again.

these threads really boost my confidence to those who are flying around me, you need vision to fly. if you can't see, don't cheat the doctor and put the rest of the skies in jeopardy.