dynsys

I'm New Here
Disclaimer: I am an advertiser on this site, but a customer and member of this forum suggested we share our advice to him for the following question:

What combination of product would you recommend for an RV aircraft that is kept mainly in Florida (high heat) flown by multiple pilots?
Our pilots range from 175 to 225 lbs. I have lower back problems that need to be addressed, but the [liquid foam-in-place] pour method would not be useful because a few different pilots will be flying this aircraft. That said, we could have a third removable set constructed just for me, but that would be expensive.

Our response:
The best cushion that would work for multiple pilots and still help your back is our Contour Laminar?. It has a built-in generic buttocks shape that centers the body on the cushion, supports the hips, and takes stress off the lower back. The contour tapers upward toward the front of the cushion, elevating the legs slightly to prevent forward sliding. The contour also adds a bit more fixed stability than a flat cushion, which could be an advantage flying through turbulence or in a rough landing.

With a weight range is 175-225 pounds, 1 cushion could potentially meet all your needs. I suggest a 1" Pudgee? (which will compress to about 1/4" under sitting pressure) on top of a Medium SunMate? FRG or Medium-firm SunMate? FRG (given the FL heat). The thickness of the SunMate layer will depend on the pilot's height and head space in the aircraft. If possible, a 3" or 3.5" total cushion thickness should be comfortable for everyone, will help reduce or eliminate the vibrations experienced during flight, and will effectively absorb impact energy on landing.

A Medium SunMate will be comfortable for the 175 lb., but may feel slightly soft for a heavier pilot. The Medium-firm could feel slightly firm to the 175 lb pilot. SunMate? FRG passes the FAA 12 Sec. Vert FAR 25.853(a) burn test.

Keep in mind, when you sit on regular flat SunMate? cushion, it takes about 5-10 minutes (depending on the temperature of the environment it?s been in) for the foam to warm, soften and contour to the body. A Contour Laminar?, although it is also temperature-sensitive, has the fixed contour already built-in, so it starts supporting faster with more immediate contact area than the flat cushion.

Welcome to VAF!

Susan, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Always appreciate the presence of a vendor, and the direct contact and information flow that ensues from your being here.

Thanks for making me feel welcome Mike. I'm a newbie to forum protocol and definitely don't want to overstep any bounds that might appear as shameless soliciting. :eek: I'm happy to help answer any questions I can about seat mods using our foams.

seats

Seat back shape has a huge effect on those of us who probably never should have walked upright. Lumbar area in particular can be really important.
I use another add on from Allan at Antisplat. It inflates like a blood pressure cuff and fits in the small of your back.
BTW.... if anyone wants to fool around with spare seat mods... I picked up two extra seat backs at the fly mart one year. They are all built and fit the 7 and 9 I think. Paid about 40 bucks. A PM if anyone needs one.. would be fine. NC
And welcome to the FORUMS....Susan

Upholstery?

Susan,
Does your company provide seat covers? If so, could you please describe? Thanks

I would be interested in the seat back, I have a RV6 which if it works in a 7 should be good. Let me know how you would like paid. Thanks Mark

Fabric Options

Susan,
Does your company provide seat covers? If so, could you please describe? Thanks

We do not provide pre-fabricated off-the-shelf seat covers for aircraft seating, but we often make simple slipcovers to fit mostly 16"x16" or 16"x18" cushions. We sell Dartex and Stretch-4 4-way stretch, waterproof fabrics by the yard or roll, and also stretch-knit fabric by the yard or roll, but you may be more interested in a vinyl or leather. For that, I would direct you to an upholstery shop if you don't want to cover it yourself. One important thing to bear in mind is that the cover should have some give or stretch, if possible, so as not to detract from the properties of the foam.

Hope that helps!