alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
In looking around for some Phillips X/C 20W50 to break in my new engine, I checked numerous "aviation" sources like the local FBO and Spruce. Spruce sells it for about $60/case + another $18 for shipping; the FBO wanted $84/case. On a lark, I contacted my local NAPA to see if they could order me in a case or two. They couldn't but they did recommend I check our local oil/petroleum/propane supplier. Lo and behold, I checked the one in town, A1 Petroleum. Though they don't generally stock aviation oil, they were happy to order me in a case or two and I was able to get it for $52/case with no shipping at all.

So, the long and short of the story... it's worth checking the yellow pages under "petroleum and oil suppliers" before you pay either inflated prices or huge shipping costs. I suppose the next best thing is to try to get the airshow-free shipping deal from Spruce, if they'll do that for oil.

Last edited:
Try to set up a group purchase through your local EAA chapter......... Usually good for another 10% off from your local jobber.

Florida

We used to be able to buy Aeroshell at the Sam's Club in Daytona. There was enough demand for it from the air boat plus airplane people that they were carrying it. We moved away in 2001 and don't know if they do any more. It might be that other Sam's Clubs in other parts of the country could get it too.

So said:
I've had the same good experience (i.e. cheaper prices) buying both Aeroshell and Conoco/Phillips oil from local distributors. The question that struck me was,"Where do the FBOs or corporate operators buy it from?" I turned their answer into my source, too.

Mike

If you're in the LA area, AP Fisher in Long Beach has aviation oil. Just yesterday bought 3 cases of Phillips X/C 20W-50 at $58/case.

Bought that same oil there 3 years ago for $35/case. What the heck's going on with motor oil prices in the last couple of years? I know crude went up in that time, but 65% increase for motor oil? Sam's Club had AeroShell W100 for $21/case back in 2003.

What the heck's going on with motor oil prices in the last couple of years? I know crude went up in that time, but 65% increase for motor oil? Sam's Club had AeroShell W100 for $21/case back in 2003.

Welcome to the world of inflation!

David,

I thought that too but after going out onto the ECI site and reading their break-in procedures I ended up getting the X/C 20W50 for my engine. I have their cylinders on my overhauled O-320 so I will break the engine in with what they recommend.

Per Mike Busch, there is no evidence that ashless dispersant oil is any less capable of providing a good break in than non AD oils. As stated above, ECI recommends the Phillips XC 20W-50 for both break in and subsequent normal operations. Worked fine for me...

Erich

Last year I bought a 55 gal drum of Phillips 20w50 and sold 30 gallons to two friends and kept 25 for myself. The cost of the oil in a drum was approximately $4/qt. The distributor didn't want the barrel back. Dan

Steve,

Phillips X/C 20W50 for break in?

Seems to me straight mineral oil is usually recommended for this process.
Yes, David, aside from it being the preferred break-in oil for ECi as others have mentioned, it's also the oil Phillips makes specifically for break in. It is mineral oil, just a little AD mixed in to stay cleaner. The nice thing is that it also becomes my regular oil once break in is complete. All that said, though, I've been on a steep learning curve with oil the last couple weeks so I appreciate you checking too see if I knew what I was doing!

http://www.phillips66aviation.com/products/66XC_20-50.aspx