Rick6a

Well Known Member
p9agi.jpg

another way to look at it...3.0oz is 17% lighter than 3.6oz and lighter is better in this instant.

But one of the keys is knowing just where one can make these adjustments without compromising strength, durability, or function. In retrospect, I know of a lot of places where I could have saved some weight, but didn't have the knowledge (and in some cases still don't) to make an informed decision as to what was reasonable and what was not, thus I tended to err on the side of caution.

greg

I couldn't decide...

...how I was going to do the wiring runs in the wings, so I drilled all the hole options Van's suggests and relished the weight savings my indecision netted me! :p

A

I may leave out the passenger seat and save 200 # --- "But sweetheart, it performs so well" --- :D But then again, maybe not. :eek:

I went on a diet and lost 65 pounds. :D

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Rick's example is an excellent one, it is a frame of mind. I also applaud builders who recognize one of the best way to reduce weight in an airplane, and they will be able to fly longer and healthier! I took off 30 pounds. :D

Last edited:
Shed the pounds

I couldn't agree with John and Greg more. If it isn't specified in the plans, I am not entirely sure where to shave off ounces; and I am really hesitant to do it where I think it may compromise the strength of a part.

I would rather shed a few pilot pounds! I am down 10 with 20 to go.

Buying light

Grove gear, 15lbs - $$$$
RV200 Prop, 7lbs - $$$$

Lost 25 lbs, priceless

While I agree thinking light bears fruit - there is nothing like the gains that can be gotten by throwing money and eating less.

Go Larry

Yup - same for me, portion control, and save the beverage carb allotment for one beer!

Keep going, and you will end up weighing less and will have made a lifestyle change!

lightening rules?

Are there any rules or guidelines for determining the size of lightening holes or cut-outs?

Glenn Wilkinson

P.S.
Took the leap today.....bought a -7 kit, once again I am the third owner of a kit.:D

I saved all the cutouts from my wing ribs and weighed them. Something like eight hours of cutting, deburring and such saved me about 3 1/4 pounds. It really has to be a mindset because the individual gains are small.

BTW I've lost 10-12 pounds and am shooting for another 15.

Totally Agree about 'Airframe Weight'

Losing the 'excess' personal pounds is the best way to go - you'll live longer and better.

Too bad that Doug doesn't allow a 'category' here about health. As I see it, there are few things in this live more important than keeping your good health and many Americans don't want to bother to lose the weight. Stepping down from my soap box now.

I imagine that seats would be a good place to save some weight. Are there any affordable composites or other lightweight seats out there?

It takes about 100 lbs to increase speed 1 kt

Old rule of thumb says it takes about 100 lb reduction to increase speed 1 kt so I build for strength and quality and let the weight be what it is. I don't care about the climb and aerobatic excellence. Just a different religion - don't shoot me.

Bob Axsom

Old rule of thumb says it takes about 100 lb reduction to increase speed 1 kt so I build for strength and quality and let the weight be what it is. I don't care about the climb and aerobatic excellence. Just a different religion - don't shoot me.

Bob Axsom

Dave Anders once said that for every pound he removed from his 4, he got a ONE FOOT A MINUTE climb increase............:eek:

Plus, a lite RV just flies sooooooooooooo nice....:)

That's what so nice about RV's, You can build them for what you want to do. I fly local for 45 min. to an hour at a time. I try to fly every day just before sunset. I am not looking for speed during these flights, what I am after is the thrill of flight and the finger tip control that the RV provides. At 1000 to 3000 ft and 55% 140 mph 4.8 gph and tunes.

Sonoma County has over 55 miles of coast line and over 2000 square miles of mountains, valleys, grapes, rivers, lakes etc. A lot of stuff to look at and I have yet to get tired of it.

When I do go XC, I like 8 to 10k at 65% four hour legs, all steam no vac... gps X2..... a 500 and a 200C. Would like a 10A when the time is right.

Manual flaps and manual trim adds to the fun. And the view from the tilt up is just short of amazing! I have the perfect airplane FOR ME!......;)

ps. sorry about the drift.

Losing the 'excess' personal pounds is the best way to go - you'll live longer and better.

Too bad that Doug doesn't allow a 'category' here about health. As I see it, there are few things in this live more important than keeping your good health and many Americans don't want to bother to lose the weight. Stepping down from my soap box now.

Yes! I've increased the payload of my airplane by 10 lb over the last 2 months, and looking for another 60 over the coming year.:) Also looking to avoid becoming a Type 2 Diabetic...

After some nasty knee surgery a couple years ago I lost a bunch of useful load, and decreased the hip room in the airplane a little. Since October, I've re-gained 30 pounds of the useful load, and myself and a 6' / 190 pounder fit nice and comfortable in the airplane. There's a lot to be said for having more useful load through diet/exercise.