Cfrisella

Well Known Member
Just picked up a set of bonaco vent line fittings today. I had already done mine per Van's instructions, but these are just perfect- you know. they're made from the same AN fitting but the screen insert is a major improvement over mine. Also, If you're tired of eating vent and fuel line tubing, trying to get bends right. I highly suggest their brake line kit and any fuel lines. Saved tons of time.:D

This may be a dumb question, but... since the filter is poked up into the body of the fitting, what stops mud daubers from building their homes in the exposed portion of the tube? The fuel vents shown in the plans have screens glued to the exterior face, so there's nowhere for bugs to crawl in. Just wondering.

mcb

I'm with Matt. Living in "mud dauber" country. They don't need depth to build.

I'm with Matt. Living in "mud dauber" country. They don't need depth to build.
Count me in, I was thinking the same thing.

A dab of pro-seal, stick the screen on the end of the vent. When it dries, cut off the extra screen with a razor blade. Not a big deal and the price was right. Well it was right after Torque the wonder dog ran through the screen from the deck to the kitchen. But then that left me enough screen to cover the fresh air vents.

I just got off the phone with a gentleman at Bonaco about this, the way they machine and set the screen, the depth between the topmost point of the 45 cut (the way it will be mounted in the bottom of the wing) to the screen is 0.350", and they are unable to reduce that distance.

He suggested, and I agree with, using a cap to fit over the vent (just like a pitot cover) with a "Remove Before Flight" streamer.

I also "T'd" into the vent line in the cockpit with a one way check valve, such that if the vent is iced over or blocked by mud daubers, it will draw air from the cockpit.

Vic

I also "T'd" into the vent line in the cockpit with a one way check valve, such that if the vent is iced over or blocked by mud daubers, it will draw air from the cockpit.

Vic

Vic,

Is this a spring loaded check? Any links to what you used?