N64GH

Well Known Member
Patron
Well I could not make it to OSH this year so I decided to replace the plastic brake lines. Got tired of wife complaining about her shoes getting leaked on from time to time. I decided to check out BONACO. They are just a mile or so from CCB (home). I took the lines off (I need to loose some weight it is tight under there) and headed on over to Bonaco. I handed him my lines and he asked what they were for. A "RV6" I says. He tossed the plastic lines off to the side without even a look and says I will be right back. About fifteen minutes later he is back with the hoses and fittings. He says this goes there that goes there any questions. Nope I says. $135 he says. NO PROBLEM I say (cheaper than I had priced out building my own). Out the door and back in my hanger in less than 30 minutes.

THEY FIT PERFECTLY! And look wonderful.

Highly recommend these guys. After seeing how well they fit I would have no problem ordering from them no matter where I lived. If you are thinking about hoses and fittings you can not go wrong with these guys. Nice folks they are quick and best of all they know there job and supply a great protect at what I think is a great price. The entire kit is $170 there were 2 hoses I did not replace (although I think I will they look out of place next to the new ones) so $135 for me.

Any way I just thought I would give a atta-boy to one of the advertisers on the list. I think they are outstanding!

Well I could not make it to OSH this year so I decided to replace the plastic brake lines. Got tired of wife complaining about her shoes getting leaked on from time to time. I decided to check out BONACO. They are just a mile or so from CCB (home). I took the lines off (I need to loose some weight it is tight under there) and headed on over to Bonaco. I handed him my lines and he asked what they were for. A "RV6" I says. He tossed the plastic lines off to the side without even a look and says I will be right back. About fifteen minutes later he is back with the hoses and fittings. He says this goes there that goes there any questions. Nope I says. $135 he says. NO PROBLEM I say (cheaper than I had priced out building my own). Out the door and back in my hanger in less than 30 minutes.

THEY FIT PERFECTLY! And look wonderful.

Highly recommend these guys. After seeing how well they fit I would have no problem ordering from them no matter where I lived. If you are thinking about hoses and fittings you can not go wrong with these guys. Nice folks they are quick and best of all they know there job and supply a great protect at what I think is a great price. The entire kit is $170 there were 2 hoses I did not replace (although I think I will they look out of place next to the new ones) so $135 for me.

Any way I just thought I would give a atta-boy to one of the advertisers on the list. I think they are outstanding!

Mike,

First.....sorry your not able to make to OSH......if it helps any....I'll not be there as well.

Secondly.......if you had asked...I would have installed them for you as well :D

But really.....thanks for the kind remarks, words like this make my day.:)

Regards,
Brett

Value per dollar.....

....is a favorite quotation of my wife.....a retired Naval supply officer:)

All of you guys building need to trash those chincy plastic tubes and go with Bonaco....ask me how I know.

Best,

Hose kits?

I'm about to order the Van's FWF kit, which of course has a lot of hoses. From what I have seen and heard, the quality of the Van's FWF hose kit seems to be getting much better, as it seems that a lot of the fuel hoses are already "firesleeved" (just created a verb there).

There might be some hoses that are not the same quality as the Bonaco hoses, but until I receive the kit, I won't know.

For example, some folks are recommending firesleeve on all hoses FWF, which seems like a good idea.

Does anyone know if Bonaco has a hose kit for RVs?

My current plan is to buy the Van's FWF kit, and order hoses one by one.

The RV-10 oil cooler lines are supplied from Van's. Has anyone had problems sealing the hose nut on the AN fitting? We replaced the AN fitting with another new AN elbow and still have a small weaping at the hose nut connection. Other than a new hose any other fix that would work? The hose is a teflon lined ss braided hose.
We also have the Bonaco brake lines and are very pleased with 15 total hrs on our RV-10.
Ron

I bet they do just give them a call. All I had to say was RV6 and he was off to the back and came back with perfect fitting hoses. He told me the price of the "kit" but mine would be less because I was not replacing everything right off the top of his head. Also he knew exactly what 2 hoses I was not replacing and told me no problem they will do the job. Theys guys know there job and do it well.

The RV-10 oil cooler lines are supplied from Van's. Has anyone had problems sealing the hose nut on the AN fitting? We replaced the AN fitting with another new AN elbow and still have a small weaping at the hose nut connection. Other than a new hose any other fix that would work? The hose is a teflon lined ss braided hose.
We also have the Bonaco brake lines and are very pleased with 15 total hrs on our RV-10.
Ron

Ron,

Does it seem that your "weapage" is coming from where the male and female AN surfaces meet?
If so, a fast and simple fix would be a nose cone seal (We sell them as well as Aircraft Spruce).

Regards,
Brett

Brett
That would be my best guess. I don't think it is where the hose is crimped to the fitting. I had some of those seals you mentioned but I think they got damaged in storage. Do they work? I'm just thinking that we had a leak at the cooler and we might have tightened this fitting or rather overtightened. The AN fitting that we may have overtightened has been replaced but the hose end is still the original. Would there be a possibility we damaged the hose end over tightening?
thanks Ron

I don't mean to deviate from the technical nature of this thread, but I just wanted to add my appreciation for Brett and Bonaco. His customer service is second to none and the lines themselves are very well made. He was remarkably patient working with me via phone to fabricate replacement lines for my RV-4; and a public "thank you" is in order.

Cheers,

Vac

Brett
That would be my best guess. I don't think it is where the hose is crimped to the fitting. I had some of those seals you mentioned but I think they got damaged in storage. Do they work? I'm just thinking that we had a leak at the cooler and we might have tightened this fitting or rather overtightened. The AN fitting that we may have overtightened has been replaced but the hose end is still the original. Would there be a possibility we damaged the hose end over tightening?
thanks Ron

Ron,
Yes the AN nose cone seals do work.
Now at this point we are well that the 37? Male/Female surfaces forms a physical seal (sometimes called a mechanical seal). Now when there are foreign objects between the Male/Female surfaces we will not get a proper seat.
By the same token if we over tighten then the Male/Female AN surfaces can become deformed.

Now there are 2 (two) ways one can check for this. The first way is to place a "dab" of Lap Compound on the male surface, then place the female on the male and tighten down (working back and forth as you do). Now take the two components apart and then look at the male surface. If the seal is a proper one you will see a continuous ring where the 2 (two) surfaces mated properly.
If on the other hand you see "gaps' in the ring you will know that you are not getting a proper seal.

Now the above is great.....if you can remove both the fitting and the hose.

If not then its on to "Plan B"...i.e. the nose cone seal.
Simply remove the hose from the male AN fitting, wipe the male to ensure that there is no debris or foreign objects there and place the nose cone seal on the "nose" of the male AN fitting. Replace and re-tighten hose. Then check for leaks/weapage . Again this is great when you can not easily remove the hose or fitting of if you have found a "new" leak just prior to flying home (nose cone seal weight next to nothing and IMHO should be in everyone's field repair kit).

Now a -6 nose cone seal runs $1.35 (here as I cant speak for other suppliers)
and is a far less expensive way to go (as opposed to replacing the hose its self). Now nose cone seals may be purchased from several sources (as I said I know Aircraft Spruce carries them as well) just be sure that you are getting a "name brand" (i.e. Seco for example).

I hope that the above was found to be some what helpful.

Regards,
Brett

brake lines yes, fuel lines, maybe not....

Something for everyone to think about, and Brett can chime in too:

The automotive teflon-lined stainless braid hoses are great for brake lines. My Bonaco hoses are really nice.

But, you should know that not all teflon-lined hose is the same. Hose that is made for carrying non-conductive liquid (e.g. fuel line) has small carbon threads in the teflon that dissapate static charge along the length of the hose to the end fittings. On hose without these carbon threads, the static charge can build up on the inner surface of the teflon, and arc through the teflon to the braid. Over time, lots of these tiny micro pin hole leaks can accumulate and the hose will sweat fuel, or at least fuel vapor, which can then accumulate in confined spaces.

To prevent this, you should use Aeroquip 666 or equivalent for fuel lines.
I don't know if there is any hose other than aircraft-grade that has this feature.

Something for everyone to think about, and Brett can chime in too:

The automotive teflon-lined stainless braid hoses are great for brake lines. My Bonaco hoses are really nice.

But, you should know that not all teflon-lined hose is the same. Hose that is made for carrying non-conductive liquid (e.g. fuel line) has small carbon threads in the teflon that dissapate static charge along the length of the hose to the end fittings. On hose without these carbon threads, the static charge can build up on the inner surface of the teflon, and arc through the teflon to the braid. Over time, lots of these tiny micro pin hole leaks can accumulate and the hose will sweat fuel, or at least fuel vapor, which can then accumulate in confined spaces.

To prevent this, you should use Aeroquip 666 or equivalent for fuel lines.
I don't know if there is any hose other than aircraft-grade that has this feature.

First...well done!

High resistivity fluids or gases at high velocity cause positive electrical charges to build on the inside of the PTFE liner. If not dissipated to the end of the hose, the charge will build until it arcs through the tube wall to the braid, causing catastrophic hose failure. This is true.

To alleviate this, we here at Bonaco use a PTFE core hose, with a thin conductive liner of carbon on the I.D. dissipating the static charge build up with in the hose.

And thank you for taking the time to point this out for others, its input like this that make this a great community and helpful tool for builders all over.

Regards,
Brett