I have toyed with the idea in my mind for a -3....but have never gotten far enough to actually sketch such a thing so what kind of dimensions you'd need to make it work (clearances for getting in, etc. An F-16 style just sounds cool! But....an F-16 is a very large aircraft, so the tip-up angle doesn't have to be that large for a person to fit through. On a small aircraft, it would probably have to go 90 degrees. I'm not sure how that would look, to be honest.

Anyway...good to know I am not the only one to have such strange ideas! ;) There is something about the tip-over that doesn't look right to me on an airplane (despite it's practicality and lightness), but i sure would like to do away with the roll-bar/frame of a slider....

Paul

Just copy Diamonds design..

Copy the design of the DA-20 Katana. It is a bubble canopy very similar to the RV's and lifts up and towards the rear. It's pretty slick!

Also known as a "suicide canopy" (like suicide doors in hotrods)

I have a fair amount of time in DA-20s and I just get the heebeejeebies thinking about what would happen if someone took off with the canopy unlatched.

Like Jamie.....

.....I thoroughly check the latches in a DA 20 that I've given dual in. It's a very easy entrance, though and if you build it with four uneven length arms, it could somewhat duplicate the DA 20. Then provide shear points so that it would depart the airplane if it ever accidentally opened in flight....then again, what would that do to the fin or stab??:eek:

Regards,

I thought this thread was about drinking

Check out the canopy on the KK1. That sounds like what you want.

10_grand_main.jpg