Blw2

Well Known Member
Just wondering how folks tint their canopies. I've seen pictures of a few, but not as many as I would have thought.
I get the idea of wide open visibility with the Vans designs, but I value my shade too much. I would definitely need to tint that thing...but given the complex/compound curves involved I can't see how tinting film would work at all....

There was a video on Youtube showing a professional crew tinted a RV canopy from the inside. This crew used to apply tint and vinyls on automobile for a living

My understanding is that Van's stopped selling the tinted canopy for the 14's. I believe I got the last one which was a special order by working closely with AP Plastics back in 2020.

My take on tinting the canopy....

So I've been trying to figure out how to block the glare when flying my RV9A. I've got the sliding Kroger shade, and while it's nice I can't say that I like it alot. It flaps when the canopy is open while taxing, and it blocks alot of the view. I read most of the threads on here about tinting canopies, and decided to give it a try. I bought a roll of tint off Amazon for $35 - the 35% VLT static cling. I first tried a long strip down the length of the canopy as the video above shows. I started at the top adjacent to the center bar. No good. My strip was 12" wide and the complex curves made it frustrating at best. This stuff won't stretch even with heat. Next I turned it and put it across the rear of the canopy. This was better, less curves to work with, but I've still got some bubbles and wrinkles. In one photo you can see the rear tinted strip across the back of the canopy. This is nice, as we travel with a 55lb boxer that rides in the back - I wanted to give her some shade back there at least.... But I didn't think another strip would work out nearly as well as I wanted.
I looked at the JetShades, and they look nice but for $800 I wanted to find an alternative.
I think I did...
I found you can purchase tinted Acrylic sheets. Only I couldnt find anything thinner than 0.090". Home Depot carries them. But they're heavier than I wanted. Neither Home Depot or Lowes carried any sheets thinner than 0.080 in clear or tinted.
Theres another thread on here where someone put static tint on plexi sheet and then put them inside the canopy. I already had the static so why not try it?

Hobby Lobby has 1mm thickness plexi in 24x36" sheets. The best part is they are $4.99 each! I bought two of them, trimmed one corner off so they fold into the top of the canopy almost perfectly, and the bow of the plastic holds them in place. Zero headspace lost at the top, minimal at the sides. My tint was 24" wide so it was easy to put the static cling on the flat plexiglass. Trim the ends with a razor and voila', instant sun screens! I might have $50 in the pair. Easy enough to add another layer of tint on the other side if something darker was desired. You can see where the plexi overlays the prior tint what 2 layers will look like. No idea how well they'll hold up to any heat in the cockpit, but I'm quite pleased. I'll probably put my Kroger sunshade back in place since I have it, but it may not stay if not necessary. My plane is hangared and I use a canopy cover when parked outside for any length of time....
I think it'd look better to find a large enough piece of plexi to cover the entire inside of the canopy. I may do that in the future.

Attachments

• Canopy3.jpg
    Canopy3.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 254
  • canopy4.jpg
    canopy4.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 258
  • Canopy2.jpg
    Canopy2.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Canopy 1.jpg
    Canopy 1.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
seems like a nice solution. Are you concerned at all about vibration causing your inner piece to rub against the canopy and scratch it?

You have a very high chance of getting bubbles under any film tint due to the polycarbonate off-gassing forever.

It seems like a much better option to get the factory tinted canopy, just consider your night flying may be diminished a bit.

On my current project, it took months to source some dark tint polycarbonate, since Covid, it's been basically unubtanium.

We did find some sheets eventually and paid way more than anticipated due to the limited supply.

You have a very high chance of getting bubbles under any film tint due to the polycarbonate off-gassing forever.

I think edhunter is probably referring to my thread where I tinted polycarbonate sheets with 3M film for my RV-4. Mine is holding up (no bubbles) beautifully after 6 or 7 years. I tried different thickness and ended up using very thin (.020 i think) sheets of polycarbonate. Yes it has left some slight marking in my rv4 canopy, but it will polish out very easily in the future.

Benefit of polycarbonate is it blocks lots of the UV spectrum on its own, and as such will yellow over time, though I have not noticed this. On top of that, the 3M film I used was like wearing 2000 spf or something like that.

I got the various thickness polycarbonate sheets at eplastics online (out of san diego).

I realize that canopy tint for reducing brightness vs. just wanting to block out UV aren't really the same thing, but just so you know, Vans used to have the option for either a clear canopy or for extra $ you could upgrade to one with about 5% or so tint that also blocked UV. When I ordered mine I asked about it and was told that it was now the standard that everybody gets.

I was also told that it was the max tint allowable for night flight in certificated aircraft so thats what they went with

That was for my RV7 about 18 months ago...

That is interesting. Maybe I am wrong, but i thought vans canopies were made of acrylic, and I thought acrylic does not block UV. There are canopies made from laminates of acrylic and polycarbonate. I dont want to spread any "misinformation".

Me either. Perhaps I'm wrong about the UV blocking, let me go back and investigate

edit- Glad I wasn't completely mis-remembering this;

For the RV7 vans store lists "C-601-1 SC-15 Low UV Canopy" They don't really have much of a description for it other than what's in the title. Without looking up my inventory sheet, I think thats the one I got.

For the RV14 the store has a better description. The part number is; C-01401 SC-15 - RV-14/14A Tinted Canopy. The description says "The new standard canopy for the RV-14/14A is fully backwards compatible with a slight tint that provides UV protection."

Last edited:
Take #2 on canopy tinting

So I decided I didn't like how the first set of tinted canopy "liners" worked out. These I like much better. Now 4 pieces instead of two. I can remove the larger pieces for flying at night if I need to. The edges have felt tape wrapped around them to lessen risk of marking canopy.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 103
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 101
My understanding is that Van's stopped selling the tinted canopy for the 14's. I believe I got the last one which was a special order by working closely with AP Plastics back in 2020.

Not sure about the canopy but I just replaced the tinted rear window for my -14.