denbobp

Well Known Member
After all I did to make things according to plan, I have two areas of sloppy looking aluminum skin. I think the area on bottom of fuselage between frame F808 and F809 can be fixed by making that an antenna doubler area but I don't have an idea for the area next to one of the main gear weldmont area. Even after relieving the area around where the gear comes through the skin it was wasted effort. The other thought I had was to spray expanding foam into the area but open to suggestions. Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Do not use expanding foam. It is porous and will absorb water. It will hold the water and cause corrosion.

I have the same issue on the belly. I was considering making a couple reinforcement "ribs" out of angle and riveting them between the bulkheads and onto the skin. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jeff

I have the same issue on the belly. I was considering making a couple reinforcement "ribs" out of angle and riveting them between the bulkheads and onto the skin. Any thoughts?

I think there would be a high probability of skin cracking at the end rivet of the reinforcement.

After all I did to make things according to plan, I have two areas of sloppy looking aluminum skin. I think the area on bottom of fuselage between frame F808 and F809 can be fixed by making that an antenna doubler area but I don't have an idea for the area next to one of the main gear weldmont area. Even after relieving the area around where the gear comes through the skin it was wasted effort. The other thought I had was to spray expanding foam into the area but open to suggestions. Thanks for any ideas in advance.

Denny,
This has been discussed here before. At the moment, I can not find the thread relating to this issue on the RV8 and 8A, but I know it exists somewhere. I did not have any luck using the search engine.
I did find the thread linked below relating to the same issue on an RV7

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36763&highlight=Tailcone+oil+canning&page=3

I hope this helps.

Charlie
PS The thread I can not find, related to a lister reporting that his RV8 would make an ungodly noise, emanating from the tail cone during stall maneuvers. He determined that the tail cone belly skin would oil can, causing the noise.

Last edited: