McFly

Well Known Member
I am in the middle of my first condition inspection and I am confused with the timing. I have 9.2 pistons, one Lightspeed Plasma II and one slick mag on a carbureted O-360. The engine builder installed the crank sensor.

The engine data plate has 25 degrees for the timing but the Lightspeed documentation states 20 degrees for an engine with compression over 8.7.

The Lightspeed ignition is timed per the 20 degree standard (confirmed) but the mag is timed per the 25 degree standard (also confirmed). The engine builder stated that this is fine but I didn?t ask for an explanation on using the two timing standards. Now I am asking you guys. I should mention that I have no complaints with the engine. Thanks.

Hugh,
The mag timing is fixed and the Lightspeed ignition is variable. Setting the Lightspeed at 20 only limits the timing variable from a max advance of around 42BTDC for normal compression to around 36BTDC for higher compression. So in reality, in cruise flight, you are running more advanced then 20 BTDC. During cruise flight, the LSI is firing before 25BTDC and the mag is really just along for the ride. When and if the mag takes over ignition, because the Lightspeed is turned off or not functional, it would fire at a fixed point of 25BTDC, which is less advanced then where the LSI was firing.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Obviously Mahlon is the expert here, but I think he took something for granted as obvious because it is to somebody like him. The spark from the lightspeed is a long duration spark that covers something like 25 degrees of crankshaft rotation and effectively overlaps the spark from the magneto regardless of how advanced it is when it fires. At least that is how it was explained to me, and I think it was by Maylon. With the spark from the Lightspeed being 60Kvolts or so and the mag being 12kvolts or so the mag becomes invisible. Anyway, since I've jumped in this will most likely be wrong. Please be gentle if it is. :D

Hugh,
The mag timing is fixed and the Lightspeed ignition is variable. Setting the Lightspeed at 20 only limits the timing variable from a max advance of around 42BTDC for normal compression to around 36BTDC for higher compression. So in reality, in cruise flight, you are running more advanced then 20 BTDC. During cruise flight, the LSI is firing before 25BTDC and the mag is really just along for the ride. When and if the mag takes over ignition, because the Lightspeed is turned off or not functional, it would fire at a fixed point of 25BTDC, which is less advanced then where the LSI was firing.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
“The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Last edited:
Lightspeed timing

If I remember, Lightspeed recommends retarding timing an additional 5 deg btdc if comp ratio is higher than 8.7 to 1. You can download the instructions from Lightspeed's website.

Correct me if I am wrong but at sea level take-off power the LS would be firing at 20 degrees BTDC (compression over 8.7 to 1). So in this case the mag at 25 degrees BTDC would be firing before the LS. Would this be a problem?? My Aerosport 0-320 with 9:1 pistons came with both the LS and the mag set at 20 degrees and 20 degrees on the data plate.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but at take-off power the LS would be firing at 20 degrees BTDC (compression over 8.7 to 1). So in this case the mag at 25 degrees BTDC would be firing before the LS. Would this be a problem?? My Aerosport 0-320 with 9:1 pistons came with both the LS and the mag set at 20 degrees and 20 degrees on the data plate.

Fin
9A

Good point Finley. I'll axiously await an explanation to this. Common sense sure makes it looks like the sparks coming at different times would give some wierd power pulses when the mag is firing first.

Under sea level, full throttle and rpm conditions, the Lightspeed fires at about the same ignition timing as the fixed mag ignition. As the aircraft climbs or as MP is manually reduced, the Lightspeed will advance its ignition timing and the mag will stay fixed. The Lightspeed system changes the timing based on manifold pressure and rpm. Most of the change is based on manifold pressure and only a few degrees of possible change is based on rpm. The lower the manifold pressure, in cruise, the more spark advance you get up to the max advance set into the Lightspeed, when doing the initial setup. The Lightspeed system fires at TDC for start then as the manifold pressure increases, the less advance it supplies. For engines with standard compression the spark fires, in the power range, anywhere from 25 BTDC to 42 BTDC. With the higher compression setup, it fires anywhere from 20BTDC to 37BTDC. The issue is to limit the max advance from 42 BTDC on lower compression engines to 37BTDC on higher compression engines. In most cruise power cases, the Lightspeed is firing before the mag. At sea level full power, the mag may fire before the Lightspeed depending on the way the engine was set up, but in most cases where the engines isn't getting full sea level manifold pressure, the Lightspeed will optimize the advance for the spark to occur before the mag. If you timed the mag to 20BTDC with the Lightspeed set to high compression spec, you could mostly assure the Lightspeed would fire first under most conditionsbuty at seasl level conditions you would have timing of 20BTDC. If you time the mag to 25BTDC for 9:1 pistons, you may get the mag to fire before the Lightspeed at close to sea level full power manifold pressure conditions. But at full throttle and RPM settings where the manifold pressure is less then what we would have at sea level, the Lightspeed will start to advance the timing towards before when the mag fires. We feel the compression increase the 9:1 pistons supplies, does not warrant retarding the sea level full power ignition timing below 25BTDC. So any time the Lightspeed wants to fire after 25 BTDC, the mag is firing first and the Lightspeed is cleaning things up, firing a few degrees later. This will optimize power output at close to sea level full power, as the engine will have 25BTDC timing for close to sea level conditions. But this will limit the max advance that the Lightspeed will attain, to 37 BTDC instead of 42BTDC. So we get 25BTDC timing for full sea level power but we limit max advance to 37BTDC.
That is the way we set up our engines. Others may do it differently and have a little less power at sea level conditions due to the retarded timing. It doesn't really matter that much one way or the other.... more of a preference thing. If you had significant compression increase, you might want to time the mag more retarded but at 9:1, I don?t think it is necessary.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I fly a Lightspeed and a Mag (impulse-coupled) with 10:1 pistons.

My mechanic, who I consider to be best-of-category, recommended I similarly retard the mag to 20 BTDC. Why?

The engine that I have was spec'd to 25 BTDC new, but that was BEFORE the high compression piston mod. Similar engines sold NEW with high compression pistons come spec'd at 20 BTDC.

So, as previously noted, in flight there would be no problem. But on the ground runup with a hot engine on a hot day you could have your Mag causing detonation - in theory.

I consider the Mag to be for emergency purposes only, so went the conservative route and set it at 20.