macrafic

Well Known Member
Is there a recommended/mandatory time for installing the canopy reinforcement brace kit on my tip-up?

I have finished work on the canopy frame itself, but have not added the side rails or the 631A channels. I don't personally see any issue with installing the brace kit now, but would like to validate with others.

Rich,

I don't believe there is a specified time. I completed the reinforcement brace after I had finished fitting the side rails and the aft canopy channels including the roll bar. The side rails were riveted to the frame and the aft roll bar was completed and attached to the fuselage. That way I could clamp the canopy frame in place with spacers to get close to the plans spacing for the frame.

Adding the reinforcement kit does help solidify the frame. Just be prepared for everything to move every time you take the canopy frame off the aircraft. It is kind of frustrating.

Is there a recommended/mandatory time for installing the canopy reinforcement brace kit on my tip-up?

I have finished work on the canopy frame itself, but have not added the side rails or the 631A channels. I don't personally see any issue with installing the brace kit now, but would like to validate with others.

The frame match to the fuse will change each time you add a piece. I would wait until the frame is completed, plexiglass is fitted and screwed on before adding the braces. I really want my canopy to match the fuse well, and have found that it is so flexible, and interactive, that I used the braces to pull, and hold, some final dimensions into place.

If you want defrost slots near the canopy, they will have to be under the brace.

Good luck, you have a way to go.

Good advice

Might want to check out some post on canopy stops. it will save you a lot of headaches
Jack

I wasn't sure I would need them. Finished the canopy and I was surprised how far the struts pushed the canopy forward when the canopy is closed.

It would have been easier to add those stops while building the canopy frame.

I wasn't sure I would need them. Finished the canopy and I was surprised how far the struts pushed the canopy forward when the canopy is closed.

It would have been easier to add those stops while building the canopy frame.

Scott, does the "push" happen even with the forward top skin riveted in? I was wondering if that sufficiently stiffened up the structure. Or, (still thinking) is it the deformation of the canopy frame itself that causes the displacement?

My top skin is not on, and I can still make this modification. Coming up soon, too.

I would also add that I would HIGHLY recommend that you apply your interior paint before riveting those braces on. Just imagine the hassle and trouble of trying to spray through and around the braces, to get good coverage behind them. If you want it to look good, and this will show every time you open your canopy, I'd paint it first. Then rivet the braces on.