Jeff Vaughan

Well Known Member
Tonight I will be hanging the TMX-0360 on my RV7A. I have read and reread the "Illustrated Guide to Engine Mounting" from the articles section at Vansairforce.net. I have installed the hard to get to AN fittings for the oil lines.
Any last words of wisdom from those that have been there before me?

Make sure you identify which bolts are longer than the others. Look at the plans and see where the long bolts go and where the shorter (ever so slightly) bolts go. A helper doesn't hurt, either! In addition, identify which side of the rubber mounts go on the front side of the engine mount. They are different top to bottom. I think the stiffer one is on the bottom.

Also you'll probably need a ground down wrench to tighten the nuts. Forget which size - 5/8 or 11/16, if I recall.

Have fun! It's a big day.

You might want to tie the tail down as well - my -8 got extremely light on the tail when he hung the engine (no wings, no canopy, no tail feathers...) and wanted to become a nose-dragger. Don't know how it is with other models - just something to think about!

Paul

Thanks guys. I have plenty of helpers lined up and I have the engine mount drawing in plane view. Bolts and mounts identified and ready to go.

Paul I have the opposite problem than you had. My nose dragger wants to be a tail dragger. When the engine is installed that will take care of that !!

I have one....

remove the 45 deg restrictor fitting and make a new one from a straight fitting found at your local hydraulics shop...Come to think of it I have not gotten around to adding the restriction yet...But anyway...

The 45 deg fitting is difficult to remove should you ever have to, but a straight fitting can be easily removed/installed with a standard 1/2' deep socket with the engine installed.

To make the ristriction simply braze (or get someone to braze) up the hole in the fitting and drill a #40 hole in the braze.

Have fun.

Oh yes and remember to fully tighten the lower mounting bolts before trying to install the top onee, as the lower bolts pull the top holes into alignment.

I installed my engine by myself cus I have no friends..>So it can be done...:)

Frank