skyfrog

Well Known Member
I am currently waiting on the delivery of my standard build wing kit. I elected to go standard versus QB for a few reasons, including the fact that I'm really enjoying the building process. However, I am a bit concerned about the time it will take me to complete my RV, so I am considering the QB version of the fuselage to speed things up. On the other hand, I've read a few comments by builders that said they had the most fun building the fuselage.

How much of a time savings is there on the QB versus standard fuselage? Of those that did the standard build on the fuselage, did any regret not going with the QB. Are there any issues with a standard wing and a QB fuselage?

Thanks, I don't want to miss out on any fun...

We're all different, but I can't image doing a QB fuse. The fuse is the most fun part of the whole project (besides the electrical system). YMMV.

Fuse is Fun!

I also believe the fuse is the most enjoyable part of the kit to build. I think it is because there is so many different tasks you have to complete. I personally enjoyed all the parts that you have to fabricate. The wings are exciting at first, but then your like "oh my not another RIB!" If I were going to do a "half n half" I'd go quick build wings with a slow build fuse. But then again YMMV.

On the -10 I think my completion to QB stage was about the same as the lead time....But I will tell you it was the most fun part of my build so far. If I had to do it over again I would do QB wings and stick with the standard build fuselage.

On the -10 I think my completion to QB stage was about the same as the lead time....But I will tell you it was the most fun part of my build so far. If I had to do it over again I would do QB wings and stick with the standard build fuselage.

Ditto for me and my -7A. Save the money. Most of your time will go into the firewall forward, instrument panel, and systems integration. Then when you are done you get to do the last 25% :D

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, Done, now doing the last 25% that comes after you are done

How much of a time savings is there on the QB versus standard fuselage? Of those that did the standard build on the fuselage, did any regret not going with the QB. Are there any issues with a standard wing and a QB fuselage?..
Fuselage to quickbuild stage was about 500 hours for me. BUT, as others have mentioned, it was by far the funnest part of the airframe.

QB vs Standard build

I am currently waiting on the delivery of my standard build wing kit. I elected to go standard versus QB for a few reasons, including the fact that I'm really enjoying the building process. However, I am a bit concerned about the time it will take me to complete my RV, so I am considering the QB version of the fuselage to speed things up. On the other hand, I've read a few comments by builders that said they had the most fun building the fuselage.

How much of a time savings is there on the QB versus standard fuselage? Of those that did the standard build on the fuselage, did any regret not going with the QB. Are there any issues with a standard wing and a QB fuselage?

Thanks, I don't want to miss out on any fun...
Really depends if you like building vs flying. Did a standard 9A fuse. Still working on it. You need 2 people sometimes-no getting around it, so you have to wait for your 'buddy'. It takes MORE time to build the fuse than wings and emp combined. Enjoyable yet VERY demanding, physically/mentally. Room for MANY, MANY mistakes. Plans less accurate/precise than emp/wings, Van's say, by now we should not have to lead you by the hand in the building process. True, but I had never built a fuse before so it was all as new as wings/emp. Now that I've almost completed it I have to say very rewarding as a builder, but I've ordered a QB 8A fuse, been there-done that, don't want to do it again. There is still MOUNTAINS of work left with the QB fuse. Trust me, you just won't have to buck a million rivets, fabricate parts, make/fix mistakes, scratch your head for hours on end, "they want me to do what?" Guarantee that there is still enough left on the QB to 'tax' your brain power. Wings/emp simple compared to fuse, so I ordered my 8A - standard wings/QB fuse.
Mike H 9A/8A

Time savings?

Ordered standard RV8 fuse the second week of April last year. Arrived two months later. Currently 2 pages of instructions from where it says "Quick Build Fuse start here" ... have not kept track of days or hours from getting the fuse until now ... there were days, even weeks nothing was done on the kit at all. Then there were 4 or 5 days in row did nothing but work on the fuse.

Anyway, quick build would save time, but you will not know as much about the plane had you done a standard build. Then there is the cost issue and as others have reported the quality issue with some of the quick builds.

My 2 cents ...

Time Savings or Fun

I went with slowbuild fuse. I would say it took me about a year to get to the quickbuild point. I'm not a particulary fast builder. I would echo what others have said -- that the fuse was fun to build. It was neat to start with nothing but angle, sheet, preformed bulkheads and the center spar and turn it into a complete fuselage. You really come to understand how the thing goes together. Which is one of the reasons I wanted to build my own plane. But if you aren't as much interested in that and want to get into the air faster, then the quickbuild might be the better choice.

Last edited:
No regrets here

I went with a slow build fuselage on my 8A, and I intend to order my quickbuild wings right around the time I am getting ready for the final assembly and flight, room is tight for me so storing wings isn't something I wanted to do. The fuse is fun to build, no doubt about it.

I'm with the gang here. As a reference point, I believe I got my slow build fuse to QB state in right at 2 months. Fun build, hated the wings but enjoyed the fuse.

More Built-in Options

The good thing about the slo-build fuse is that it is a lot easier to incorporate modifications while building. It could just be a tray for an AHRS or a hinged panel in the baggage compartment. A lot easier than with a QB.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I had been leaning toward the standard build fuselage but was second guessing myself. Now I feel better about going the standard build kit on everything.

I must admit, before starting the kit, I felt sure I'd go with the QB. But thanks to the EAA Workshops, help from this website, and my experience on the tail kit (both good and bad), I am much more confident about the standard build kit. I'll just have to fly my Grumman a bit longer. Saving money ain't so bad either :D

Thanks,