RV404

I'm New Here
Well, I have been selling the wife on the Skyview System now for a few months, and now the Garmin G3X is making waves....

How do the two compare...I have been looking at both websites for hours so now I am looking for opinions and why?

thanks..... I think I spend more time thinking about building then I do actually building now HAHA.

I would encourage you to look at AFS. Great family ran business which grew up in the local Van's community and is ran by a multiple RV builder. I think his product will speak for itself.

So what you're going to get here is a whole bunch of answers for a whole bunch of different systems (all of which are good) from a whole bunch of good folks. That said, people will predominantly recommend what they personally chose. Remember, everyones child is their favorite - and by recommending our own; it sort of validates each of our own decisions.

The fact of the matter is that we're at the point of these things pretty much being like Toyota/Honda/Nissan type comparisons (yet I drive a Ford)! Each will have things they will promote over the other. Also realize that what is best for one person rarely can be applied to everyone...because each person's situations, budget, time, perspective, skill, experience, desires, likes/disklikes are all different.

I try to be Switzerland in these debates. So far this week I've managed to sell at least one of every brand (because like I said, I cannot recommend a single system as the solution for every customer) - and if anyone tells you that there is a perfect system for 100% of builders then I also have a few bridges on the beach for sale! :)

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Well, I have been selling the wife on the Skyview System now for a few months, and now the Garmin G3X is making waves....

How do the two compare...I have been looking at both websites for hours so now I am looking for opinions and why?

thanks..... I think I spend more time thinking about building then I do actually building now HAHA.

All I can say is I love my Skyview, so therefore the Skyview is the best option. :D

Just kidding, but I think the Skyview is a less expensive option.

Last edited:
I would encourage you to look at AFS. Great family ran business which grew up in the local Van's community and is ran by a multiple RV builder. I think his product will speak for itself.

In response to Stien, who is 100% correct, I actually have a Dynon (which I also like).

I was in the same boat a year or so ago.... trying to decide between Dynon and Garmin. I bit the bullet and drove the 6 hours up to Minnesota to visit with the guys from SteinAir who spent a morning with me demonstrating and letting me play with both systems.

IMHO, this is one area where the time and money spent figuring out which system works best for you is money well spent. Bite the bullet and go visit an avionics shop to play with all the systems you are considering.

Stein is the best avionics dealer but he may not be a fit for everyone. :)

So what you're going to get here is a whole bunch of answers for a whole bunch of different systems (all of which are good) from a whole bunch of good folks. That said, people will predominantly recommend what they personally chose. Remember, everyones child is their favorite - and by recommending our own; it sort of validates each of our own decisions.

The fact of the matter is that we're at the point of these things pretty much being like Toyota/Honda/Nissan type comparisons (yet I drive a Ford)! Each will have things they will promote over the other. Also realize that what is best for one person rarely can be applied to everyone...because each person's situations, budget, time, perspective, skill, experience, desires, likes/disklikes are all different.

I try to be Switzerland in these debates. So far this week I've managed to sell at least one of every brand (because like I said, I cannot recommend a single system as the solution for every customer) - and if anyone tells you that there is a perfect system for 100% of builders then I also have a few bridges on the beach for sale! :)

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

All I can say is I love my Skyview, so therefore the Skyview is the best option. :D

Just kidding, but I think the Skyview is a less expensive option.

Just r,ember, dynon does not have vertical autopilot coupling. GRT does, and I think the garmin not sure.

I would suggest that you actually fly all the systems and see for yourself how they work in real life. We have a well-equipped RV-10 that we use for demo flights as well as testing. Advanced Flight?s RV-10 has three AF-5000 EFIS screens, AF-Pilot autopilot, GTN650, SL30, Mode S Transponder, XM Radio/Weather, built-in Mountain High Oxygen System and two different ADS-B systems. We are conveniently located about 5 miles from Van?s Aircraft and Alex De Dominicis (rvtraining.com) also has our AF-5000 screens in his RV-10 training aircraft in Dallas, TX.

In the last two weeks we have had two customers (that were leaning toward other manufactures? EFIS screens) give us orders for complete systems after flying our RV-10. In less than an hour we can demonstrate how feature-complete the AF-5000 EFIS screens are and how simple and intuitive they are to operate in flight. From geo-referenced VFR sectionals to XM Radio and Weather it ALL works. Our large high-resolution screens are extremely easy to read. In fact, I find that I don?t need my reading glasses most of the time.

We started shipping the new AF-5000 EFIS screens 16 months ago and are just about to ship our 300th .

Be sure to stop by our booth at Sun-n-Fun and see the latest addition to the AF-5000 series, the new AF-5200. We?re in booth A91-93

Demo Video of AF-5800 and Mt Hood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm_SdWN0O6Y

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.

Just r,ember, dynon does not have vertical autopilot coupling. GRT does, and I think the garmin not sure.
As of SkyView V6, due out "very soon" with an announcement due at S'n'F, they will have VNAV capability.

What sort, I'm not sure, you'll have to ask Dynon, but they've dropped the hint over at their forums.

VNAV as in vertical GPS guidance to an altitude near a waypoint or actual AP pitch axis coupling to the same?

VNAV as in vertical GPS guidance to an altitude near a waypoint or actual AP pitch axis coupling to the same?

AP pitch axis. There has been talk about it for a long time. I'm not holding my breath, but apparently it is due very soon. Honestly, I like my Skyview, and I don't mind waiting for upgrades for a reasonable amount of time - they definitely don't have the R&D hp of a Garmin - but I really believe they would serve themselves and others better by not announcing "future" updates and development. As someone previously mentioned, the radio has been talked about forever. I've also heard talk of charts/plates, but who knows how far down the line that will be.

My peeve is the inability for my 430 route to display on my SV map. If I can get the info to the HSI, it doesn't seem like a giant leap to display on the map. I'm far from a software engineer, however:D

In the end, when compared to flying behind a DG, OBS, RMI, ADF, etc, all of this technology is simply amazing - regardless of manufacturer - and I laugh inside every time I get behind my panel.