Dave Cole

Well Known Member
I found it much easier to proseal the tanks with the jig tilted towards me. I came up with this simple way of positioning the jig using a couple of scrap pieces of 2 x 6 and two quik-grip clamps.

wings040sea5.jpg

YES!

I saw Smitty's set-up, but your's seems less labor intensive. (I'm trying to focus my efforts on the plane and not the jigs as much as possible.) I do believe I'm going with yours.

Thanks.
Fred
magaref "at" hayscisd.net

Hi Dave:

Your jig idea is neat. I'm just curious why you decided to not install the inboard access panel. Not that there's a problem with your method...just curious about your rationale.

- Jamie

No fuel picik-up tube

The reason I didn't install an access panel is that I didn't use a fuel pick-up tube, so I decided to mount the fuel level sender directly to the end rib and eliminate a large area of potential leaks. I think this provides as much access as you are likely to need.

The big difference here is the fuel pick-up I am using, which is from an RV-10. The fuel pick-up fitting is a brass hex pipe bushing with an extended tubular screen that projects into the tank. This pick-up is screwed into the flange at the lower rear corner of the end rib. This setup gives you the advantage of a pickup with no movable parts inside the tank (no anti-rotation bracket or safety wire required) as well as a pick-up screen that is removable for cleaning.

wings106skr2.jpg

My technical counselor (Bob Barrows of Bearhawk fame) was impressed with this setup, and said that is how he has configured his fuel pick-ups. He felt this set-up was significantly better than the standard fuel pick-up tube (and all of its potential problems).

Last edited: