Mark Bolton

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZJmzoF8YsN0/S-ZxB6RLRyI/AAAAAAAAAzM/4fk-nD6zawE/s1600/P1290115.JPG

Under the top engine mount (hidden) is the oil pressure takeoff.

The plug that is properly used for oil pressure is a swine to get at and it is either seized or held in with loctite. I could only get at it with a 3/16 ball on allen key due interference from the engine mount. Yes it snapped off. I am considering getting onto it with a propane torch but an concerned the 1 ) engine mount will be in the way 2 ) I will damage something with the torquing / heat combo. All the fittings in the engine are too tight to backoff with a spanner and a conservative level of torque. Last thing I want to do is chew out the inside of the plug or damage the thread.

It seems nasty to have to pull the engine forward off the mounting bolts to get access with a proper allen wrench but if that's what it takes - so be it.

I am really concerned I might damage something. The engine is quite an antique - built in the mid 70s and has about 500HTR.

The thought of going at the fittings with brute force makes my skin crawl.
What is the proper way of installing and removing bolts and AN Fittings to the crankcase of an aero engine?

Any tips from the brains trust to set me on the right course of action ?

THX in advance ..

Mark Bolton

http://rv-4builder.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/motor.html

Last edited:
me too

I was installing an air oil separator and was unable to remove the plug on the back of the engine for the return line. Could not line up the wrench due to accessories or the motor mount, broke a ball end. Out of ideas.

Hi Dave,

busting the ball off a allen key is usually just "game on" . I have tried quite a few curly fixes on stuck fixings on different machines over the years. When I was working in hospitals liquid nitrogen was a game changer.

That sort of creativity is one thing. If the attempt fails then, in keeping with the industry, we get to grow ivy over our less successful ventures.

This time it is my motor , my plane, and my money and "correct use of pockets" ? "Keep your hands in them till you know, for sure, what you are doing."

Kind Regards

Mark

I know it is a pain, but removing the engine from the mount would allow you to throw some paint on the mount as well as access the problem. It appears from the pictures that it is quite rusty, however, that could just be grime....

I am a huge fan of "Mouse Milk" penetrating oil. Soak an acid brush and paint some around the fitting. Do this a few times a day and let it soak in for a day or two. This has worked for me on corroded fittings.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but....

I don't think you can install an oil pressure fitting in that place without removing the engine anyway.

Normally you need a 45? fitting there and you can't install it because of interference with the engine mount.

Mel you aren't missing anything. Your input is very welcome. It isnt so much the final fitting that gets to be installed. It is more the tightness of the fixings and knowing that every workshop has a proper method of operation.

I am searching for a basic "Recommended Methods " spray.

The sort of thing Bingellis would point us towards.

THX for your help ..