TShort

Well Known Member
What size are you guys making the hole in the LE skin for the tiedown rings?
I'd like to drill it to the size of the threaded portion of the ring, but there is a gap between the skin and the tiedown block. I was thinking of epoxying in some washers to fill this space so that the tiedown can "bottom out" without deforming the skin.
OTOH, I guess I could drill a bigger hole so that the ring bottoms out on the block ... not sure I like that idea, though...

Thanks

Hole in skin

The tie down ring is 5/16. I drilled mine to 1/2 and use a plastic snap in button to cover them when not in use. I also put a nylon washer on the tie down ring to protect the paint.

When in use, I keep them a half turn from snug then tie things down. They don't need to be tightened to work.

I agree with Darwin - I leave mine screwed out enough to not touch the skin - once you tie a rope through them, they can't turn, and as best I can analyze the forces, doesn't seem to make a difference.

Paul

Spacer

I put in a spacer big enough to fit inside the hole and thick enough to keep the base of the ring away from the skin. I ground down a jam nut, I think.
h

Home Depot to the rescue!

I decided to replace the tie down rings from Van's with something that doesn't have that shoulder, and could get through an (approx) 3/8" hole and then bottom out against the block at the end of the threads. A quick trip to Home Depot yielded the perfect solution. 3/8" x 4" stainless steel eye bolts, rated for a safe working load of 350lb. I'll have to shorten them by about an inch to the ideal length, but that's no problem. The eye bolts are manufactured by The LeHigh Group, product #7134, UPC code 071514002385. At Home Depot they were located near the ropes and chains, NOT near all the bolts and general hardware. They were $1.99 each (Van's tie down rings are $4.25 each).

Pictured: Van's tie down rings on the left, Home Depot on the right and center.
20060701_2.jpg