Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Ok folks, someone who is better than I am at searching is probably going to answer this in two minutes....

We are goign to be pouring the concrete for our hangar apron/ramp soon, and I am looking to place some tie-down points. I seem to remember that there is a "standard layout" for such things in an AC somewhere, but can't find it. Anyone?

BTW - I am going to also have at least one, if not two anchors inside the hanagr to secure tails for jacking, etc.

(We'll obviously be using this for RV's, but can't rule out visits from other aircraft!);)

It is my personal observation that the standard layout for wing tie down rings is about 30 feet apart or just a few feet beyond the length of the ropes I carry in my plane. :D

The FAA has it covered....

Appendix 5 of this giant airport design document should have what you want.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150_5300_13A.pdf

Start at PDF page 265....:)

However, this copy of one FAA page might be all you need. It even tells you where to put the tie-down anchors...:)

http://www.seasideairport.org/faa_tiedowns.gif

The 45 ft spacing is good for singles and small twins.

It could be reduced to 40 ft for Cessna 182 size and smaller planes, but with a large Cessna being 36 to 37 ft, spacing might be a bit tight

The size of the yellow painted "T" is nicely dimensioned above.

Last edited:
Paul,
When I saw that you posted this request, I thought "Why not just drop a note to Gil?" I figured he would come through. Of course, this does get the knowledge into the forum.

Thanks folks - and Gil, you're slipping - I figured be first out of the gate on a research question! ;)

I actually think the Texas document is going to be more appropriately sized for typical homebuilts - but both are good places to start as I see what will fit on our apron.

Thanks folks - and Gil, you're slipping - I figured be first out of the gate on a research question! ;)

I actually think the Texas document is going to be more appropriately sized for typical homebuilts - but both are good places to start as I see what will fit on our apron.

I'll claim jet lag from my 5 week trip to Liverpool, just got back...:)

The only real difference is the length of the upright leg on the tie down "T". The TX document says 20 ft and the FAA doc says 17 ft.

I think the 17 ft. might be better for your RVs.

The width of the "T" is only different by 1 ft for the two documents.

On a side note, for those worried about our TEL (the lead bit) supply for 100LL fuel.

The sole plant producing TEL in the free world is still operational in Ellsemere Port on the River Mersey across from Liverpool, taken last week -

TEL_zps3a7dca94.jpg

Last edited:
As long as you're designing it for a variety of aircraft and never know who or what might show up, perhaps just tiedown rings on a 2-foot grid - that would cover all the possibilities and make everyone happy (especially the contractor)!:D

Cheers,
Greg