jtdehaan

The RV 12 is very light on the nose with a full tank of fuel. I have had it tied down outside this winter and have had the aircraft come down on the tail twice. This caused some damage to the stab trim and rudder. The rudder lock was knocked loose also both times. I now use a tail post made from 1 1/4 inch dia PVC pipe 33 in long. Cut a slot in the top to fit around the tail tie-down fitting with a bolt through the fitting to keep it in place. With the tail also tied down it keeps the aircraft more secure. I hope this prevents someone else from experiencing similar damage.

Jake - N124JT

Stabilator Position

Jake,
I am curious as to what position your stabilator was in when the tail hit the ground? Was the stick held back with the seatbelt-Per the POH(Page 7-12)? I would think forward stick would be better to keep the nose on the ground? The Remos' elevator I use to rent was held with a strap around the rudder pedals pulling the stick forward. Thoughts on this anyone?

Last edited:
Andy,
I had the stick in the forward position with a bungee cord. That is probably the reason the trim tab was damaged. The stick in the aft position with the seat belt would have kept the trim tab from hitting. The main thing is that the nose is very light with a full load of fuel and when the tail came down it stayed down.
Jake

Jake,
I am curious as to what position your stabilator was in when the tail hit the ground? Was the stick held back with the seatbelt-Per the POH(Page 7-12)? I would think forward stick would be better to keep the nose on the ground? The Remos' elevator I use to rent was held with a strap around the rudder pedals pulling the stick forward. Thoughts on this anyone?

It depends on where the wind is coming from. I have seen tricycle geared aircraft banging their tails on the ground with wind from behind (and Cessna gust locks in place, slightly nose down elevator) while aircraft on the same row with yokes pulled fully back with the seat belts, but facing into the wind, were barely moving.

Good advice. There is a reason the entry steps are in the front of the wing.

You might try tying down the nose wheel if you are in grass, or tying a 50 pound weight to the nose wheel if you are on pavement. Maybe the FBO would allow you to put a nose wheel anchor it the concrete?

Last edited: