N804RV

Well Known Member
Doing my BFR in a SuperDecathalon that is parked a couple of hangars down from the Heritage Flight museum at KBVS (Burlington, WA). After some embarrassingly poor landing practice, I went over to gawk at the P-51s. Got to see an F8F BearCat take off. He lifted off from a 3 point attitude and left the ground like a missile fired off a set a rails.

I also ran into a guy by the name of Dean Holt. He's the guy who now owns the Thunder Mustang kit production rights and tooling. Turns out, he's just a couple of hangars further down from the "flight museum".

He was very neighborly and invited me over to see the kit he's working on. Very impressive! If I had a $400K budget to drop on a kit plane, this'd be the one I'd build!

Last edited:
I've even fielded requests by my wife to get a "Thunder Mustang" - !! (what can I say the price tag was not on the aircraft when it was on display)

Chicks dig 'em. But the wallet and I have an understanding that it's not ever gonna happen :eek:

Until then an RV4 is a really fun alternative.

Thunder Mustang

My hangar backs up to a Thunder Mustang project that is close to being finished. It has a 12 cylinder Falconer (sp?) engine hanging on it with a 4-blade prop! Really impressive!

Some months ago I was over in his hangar as he tested the retractable gear. He was so proud of it until I started laughing - when the main gear went up, the tail wheel went down and vice versa! After switching a couple of hydraulic lines, all went together!

Anyway, they are definitely a little over the typical RV builder's budget (and fuel burn will be a little more as well!). I'm sticking with my 7!:p

Last edited: