jsenft

Well Known Member
I took my first flight in a airplane powered by a rotex 912 yesterday. I was enlighten by the spring loaded throttle. Flying C172 for most of my hours, I am concerned with the full power spring loaded throttle. After certified Elsa, has anyone changed this setup to function similar to a c172?

Not on an RV-12, but I did build a CH601HDS using a Rotax 912 back in the mid-nineties. I changed the throttle arrangement to pushrods from the firewall to the carbs. The aircraft now has about 1500 hrs and has experienced no problems whatsoever.

my jabiru 3300 has a bing carb with a spring loaded throttle. it was very difficult to use. i ended up removing the spring so the throttle was like a cessna.
after thinking about the benefits of a spring to take engine to wide open i reinstalled a weaker spring. much more comfortable but the throttle will creep to full power if not locked. in my mind i guess full power to your emergency landing site is much better than no power. you might arrive at your chosen emergency airport at 8000 feet but that is a much better scenario than what no power would get you. my linkage is not stranded cable but one large solid cable.

While on this subject, I have a question that has bugged me since I made my first flight (only one month ago): when you move the throttle, do you unlock it completely or do you leave some friction to make adjustments of power easier and more precise (which is what I do)?
My previous experience was with the Sportcruiser where my instructor insisted that I unlock the friction completely while moving the throttle. Note that the Sportcruiser has a quadrant with a different friction mechanism than the RV-12 but I still have some doubts about my practice with the -12.

for me my throttle lock has only 2 positions.....locked or fully unlocked.
i want the throttle instantly ready if i have my hand on it. i lock it again when i am ready to remove my hand.

Do a search - there are lots of posts about putting in weaker springs along with specs and links of those . I did that - it is a great improvement. The function is still there but the "fight" is gone!

Do a search - there are lots of posts about putting in weaker springs along with specs and links of those . I did that - it is a great improvement. The function is still there but the "fight" is gone!

I understand this option, Bill but even with the weaker spring, I still may find some friction helpful when I move the throttle. My question: is a small amount of friction damaging when I move the throttle?

I experimented with Harbor Freight springs and found weaker ones. They creep a little at idle, but are fine in cruise. I unlock for takeoff and put in some friction after takeoff.

Jean-Pierre, the Sportcruiser has small teeth that lock the throttle and they can be stripped if not unlocked before movement. I have 190 hrs on my 12 and always leave some friction on the throttle with no problems noticed.

Rick.

Jean-Pierre, the Sportcruiser has small teeth that lock the throttle and they can be stripped if not unlocked before movement. I have 190 hrs on my 12 and always leave some friction on the throttle with no problems noticed.

Rick.
Thanks Rick, your answer is right on target and solves my problem.