drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
Is it me, or does Van?s math not add up?

I was looking forward to installing my throttle quadrant this evening but ran into a gotcha. I attached the cables to the throttle and threaded the cables through the holes in the gear towers and firewall. Everything look good until the throttle quadrant was 2 inches away from its mount point. It wouldn?t move any further.

The problem is that the hole for cable pass through on the gear mount is only 1 1/8? diameter. However per specs the two top 7/16 cables in the cable anchor are 1 inch on center. This gives the two cables an edge to edge distance of 1 7/16.

The control cables do not flex at the mount points and it looks like I need to enlarge the hole at least another 3/8? for this to work.

Am I missing something or is this another area where the plans are not correct?

Any one else run into this?

-Mike Draper
RV-8 Finish

Yup!

Think triangular hole. Go in there with a die grinder with a nice straight cutting bit. Once you've made a triangle (with nice rounded corners) big enough to fit the three cables, make it just a little bit bigger so that you can remove things later if you need to replace a cable - otherwise, you'll be enlarging it later (ask me how I know!).

This again is an area where you just have to "make it fit"....

Paul

Disclaimer - this is not a call for indiscriminate material removal....but sometimes, a larger hole is required!

Thanks Paul.

Makes you wonder why Vans doesn't place a revision note on the drawings. It certainly would save everyone a few hours of work, not to mention the aggravation.

-Mike
RV-8 Finish

Funny Thing about Pictures.....

db8 said:
Do you have any pictures by chance? Thanks. Dave

It's amazing.....when you're building, you pick up the camera now and again and shoot lots of digital images. Download them to the computer, and figure that you've done a good job of documenting all of the tricky and unique aspects of your build.

Then someone asks for a shot of something in particular, and after searching all the folders....nope! Next question, another search....nope! It's almost a sure bet - whatever people want to see - you don't have a picture.

It's like going into class for a test and finding that you studied the wrong chapter! :eek:

Sorry - no shots of this either....

Paul

I don't have any pictures either. Just as well, the resulting triangular hole is rather ugly.

Take a look at the details for the cable anchor and gear tower hole on DWG 30 and circle it in red.

Jim did a nice job of picking up on this and avoiding this gotcha. You can find some pictures of his clean installation in the link below.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwdweb2/Finish4/finish4.html

-Mike Draper
RV-8 Finish