David Paule

Well Known Member
Can someone tell me what the fore-aft control travel is for the throttle, prop and mixture knobs?

Also, how do you like it? Would you prefer more or less travel?

And do you ever wish for separate friction controls, one for each of these?

Thanks very much - I'm building an RV-3B and expect to make my own throttle quadrant. Since I have the engine, I know what's required at the carburetor.

Dave

And do you ever wish for separate friction controls, one for each of these?

Yes, totally! See this link.

Dave, I cannot give specific answers to your request for "fore-aft control travel" because it's a function of the length of each control arm. The solution seems to be to change effective length to suit the throttle quadrant's throw, whether by drilling a new attach hole or substituting a new (very expensive) lever arm. For example, see this thread.

What I'm hoping for is some idea of what people have found satisfactory or unsatisfactory while flying.

If I do make my own throttle quadrant, one feature that I'll add is fine adjustment, somewhat analogous to the vernier on many non-quadrant governor or mixture controls. And since it'll be a one-off throttle quadrant, it'll have the correct travel for the control itself. But to do that I need an idea of how far the controls should ideally move.

I've got the numbers for my Cessna 180, but it's so different I'm not sure how well it applies.

Dave