Davepar

Well Known Member
I've been doing a little investigation into throttle quadrants for my 7A and figured I'd share what I found. DJM Manufacturing sells a few different models of quadrant:
http://www.djmmfg.com/products.html

The best option for mounting in the center of a side-by-side RV is the CMCT2L or CMCT3L:
cmct2lquad.jpg
cmct32quad.jpg

I noticed on Vans site that they are selling an RV-10 quadrant as well:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?browse=controls&product=10-quadrant
cat-med_10-quadrant.jpg

It's bundled as a kit with cables for an RV-10 with IO-540 engine, but you can also buy it separately for around $310 (for the 3 lever model). According to DJM (the manufacturer) this quadrant will also fit the RV-7 and -9, because the panel/subpanel spacing is the same. The advantage of the RV-10 quadrant over the CMCT2/3L is that it bolts directly to the panel and subpanel. There's no need to fabricate a mounting bracket. It also includes a cable housing mount. The RV-10 model is about an inch wider.

If you decide to go with the CMCT2L or CMCT3L, Vans doesn't carry them. You'll have to order them from Aircraft Spruce.

Dave

(I'm not affiliated with DJM in any way other than as a customer. I'm just reporting what I learned about their quadrants, since the info isn't available elsewhere.)

Dave,

Thanks to Roberta, I bought one of the CMCT2L quadrants from Aircraft Spruce. They are well made and are easy to install.

Dayton, who is DJM is building a -4 and frequents this board.

Check out this thread.

I used the DJM quadrant in my 7A. It is very easy to fabricate the mount and cable mount using leftover angle and some AL sq. tube. Worth the money saved over the Van's unit.

Roberta

Good to know. Thanks Roberta. I've been trading emails with Scott who is currently trying to figure out the cable mount part of the quadrant. If you have any pictures of that, it might help.

Just to be clear, DJM is making the RV-10 throttle quadrant for Vans. It just costs $100+ more.

I'm not interested in a group buy anymore. My quadrant is on its way up from California right now. :D

Dave

Davepar said:
The advantage of the RV-10 quadrant over the CMCT2/3L is that it bolts directly to the panel and subpanel. There's no need to fabricate a mounting bracket. It also includes a cable housing mount. The RV-10 model is about an inch wider.

Hmm, that's kind of a drag. Too bad there isn't a narrow one for the RV-6/7/9 that has the mounting brackets and cable guides built in like the RV-10 quadrant has. DJM, are you listening? :)

mcb

mburch said:
Hmm, that's kind of a drag. Too bad there isn't a narrow one for the RV-6/7/9 that has the mounting brackets and cable guides built in like the RV-10 quadrant has. DJM, are you listening? :)

mcb
I found the 2 lever quadrant very narrow and mounting the cables will be easy. Unlike Roberta, I used aluminum angle to mount the quadrant and the cable mounts will be hung off the sides of the angle. It can't much easier than that.

Like I stated above, the quality of these things is outstanding and I highly recommend them to anyone who doesn't care for Cessna style throttles.

Last edited:
Have any pics Bill? Trying to figure out my cable mounts now. I'm pretty sure I made my quadrant mount like you.

Thanks!
Scott

Scott Will said:
Have any pics Bill? Trying to figure out my cable mounts now. I'm pretty sure I made my quadrant mount like you.

Thanks!
Scott
Scott,

I haven't hung the engine yet, thus I haven't run the cables. What I plan on doing is hanging the adel clamps off the inside of the 1" AA that runs between the panel and the sub-panel. That should work just fine. My carb heat will be on to the left of the TQ and another adel clamp on the outside of the AA will work for that.

Hope that helps.