sbalmos

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I've got one of the throttle cables from the factory, with the ribbed green sleeving. The factory's website didn't list an outer thickness measurement, for which firewall eyeball to use. It looks like it might be 5/16" or 3/8" maybe? Anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks.

I purchased the 5/16" firewall eyeballs which are slightly undersized and drilled them to 21/64". Easy to drill and they now fit the vans throttle and mixture cables very well.

Scott, I just did that these past 2 days. It was not easy getting them installed. Human pretzel is about all I can remember. I ended up drilling the throttle and mixture cable about 4 times until I got what I felt was right. I believe it was 21/64th like Lyle said. A tip - dont install the cable until you get the size figured out so you don't have to be re-born several times from under the panel.

Yeah well that bird has already flown. :) I'm getting a second chance because the plans have the throttle cable hole on the passenger side, while the EFII throttle body has the control linkage on the pilot side. Right now the cable doesn't bind and is fully movable, but has a wicked bend in it to get to the proper side of the throttle. Not to mention the original eyeball hole... well, a compound fracture is probably cleaner. And that whole drill-to-size thing in the eyeball itself. Bleh.

I'll get another eyeball and reuse that hole for the alternate air door cable. But this new throttle eyeball on the proper side I want to get right.

When I was at this stage 6 years ago, I determined that my Vans cables were made by ACS (via the part number shown on the tag attached to the cable) and the "diameter" listed at the Spruce website did not include the custom polymer coating, only the metal spiral sheath.

After that, it was easy to determine the correct eyeball ID to order. I trimmed the polymer coating off the cable where it passed through the eyeball.

See this post

And this one too.

Last edited: