Airhead

I will be shortly purchasing an IO360 M1B from Vans, and will also get the FF kit, hoping to simplify the installation (yeah, right). I would like to route the throttle cable through the firewall in a location other than thru the heater box as per plans. I have seen one installed passing thru the firewall recess but it was the 200hp version IO360 so I'm not sure if it is the same, and I couldn't get a good look at the exact position.

Has anyone used a similar routing with the M1B (higher up, so not hanging down near floor) with good results? If so, a photo or any other details appreciated.

I routed my throttle (and heater box valve) cable thru the firewall to the right (passenger side) of the oil filter recess, and the mixture, prop gov. and alt air cable to the left. The prop governor location was near the Vans call out as I recall. Cables on the right and left sides are laid out on a horizontal line in line vertically and a mirror image of the prop cable location (hope this is making sense!). In this photo you can see my throttle cable snaking down from the right side of the firewall to the home made throttle cable bracket.

IMG_3561.jpg

see more photos at: https://picasaweb.google.com/frazitl/FWFCables#

I've looked through my pictures, and don't really have anything that would show the locations well. Sorry. I'm happy with how it all worked out. Be prepared to spend some big bucks on custom length cables. I ordered mine through Spruce. They have a standard configuration that mimics the Vans cables and made by the same company. My advice on cable lengths is to try to use standard lengths if possible (much cheaper), and don't worry too much about an overly long cable. A few extra inches isn't a big problem. Just don't let them be too short!

i have an related question to this...

i feel that my thottle and mixture cable running somewhat close to the exhaust. is there a minimum distance given between the vans cable (not heat shielded) and a exhaust pipe?

Kay

Terry,

Thanks for the pics. Is your engine an M1B with Bendix FI? I notice the engine color in the photos looks like gold (instead of gray per Vans OEM Lycomings) so guessing it may be from another source and may not have the same FI system.

My engine

is a Superior 180hp lycoming IO360 clone. The fuel injection is Precision (former Bendix) horizontal induction into the Superior cold air intake manifold. Setup works great with Vetterman 4 into 4 straight pipe exhaust system... Even my dog can tell when I'm taxiing back to the hangar...;)