Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I need to make a fairly simlple throttle bracket that I cannot obtain from Vans or elsewhere.
I cannot get hold of 4130 and was wondering if it will be a good idea to make it from 316 SS or similar, 1.5 mm thick. Obviously with the usual reliefs where there are bends etc.
Thanking you in advance.

SS would not be my first choice for a bracket as important as the throttle.
SS has the tendency to work harden. It would be a concern in the vibration environment.

A plain mild steel (in the us numeration an AISI 1000 series like 1018) would be preferable I think due to the ductility and related resistance to cracking.

4130 would still be best if you take the time and $ to get it sent to you.

Last edited:
You can do it.

You can get 4130 in small sheets from Aircraft Spruce. We make some small things from time to time and need to stock it. In the 2013-14 catalog it is on page 52. I just used a 6"X12"-.040 to make a cable bracket for a fuel pump of an "E.C.I" AE 400-a1-a1. The part of that sheet was number 03-22600, cost 3.45 US.
The same size 6X12 in .050 is # 03-23000, cost 1.97 US. They list 6"X12", 9X9, 9X18, 18X18, 18X36, 18X72 From .025 to .250 thick. You can go on line and order what you need. Yours as always R.E.A. III # 80888

I need to make a fairly simlple throttle bracket that I cannot obtain from Vans or elsewhere.
I cannot get hold of 4130 and was wondering if it will be a good idea to make it from 316 SS or similar, 1.5 mm thick. Obviously with the usual reliefs where there are bends etc.
Thanking you in advance.
What are you doing?

I had Van's send me a bracket w/o the carb holes pre-punched in it so I could cut/drill the holes I needed for my O-290-D2.

Contact them, if that's what you need, they will send one like I spec'ed out.

Here are some pictures:

(Click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise guys - much appreciated.
Ordering from Spruce is not that cheap. I estimate an envelope with a piece of 4130 will atract about $150 to get it to me in South Africa. By post it might get lost.

I have already made one out of 1.5mm mild steel - see picture. It was laser cut and powder coated. I want to use this on a Superior IO-360 in an RV7. BUT now I am worried about the integrity of this small part. That is why I am asking. I will also try Vans.

bracket.JPG

The mild steel should do the job just fine. However, if I were making that part I would probably make the sides larger and cut to match the angle of the ring for the cable attach and then weld them to the ring. Mild steel isn't all that hard to bend, so the extra support would be a benefit.

I grew up someplace where things are often hard to get (or expensive), so I know how much trouble it can be.

Steel of local description

I'd be surprised if South Africa doesn't have what you need. There has to be an in-country supply of the right stuff or something very close to it. 4130 is not just for aircraft, its good steel for multiple industrial uses.

Lets get past the US naming by using the chart below.

Crossover list

Open the pdf and look at the bottom of page 1. You should see 4130 and the names of the same thing in other naming systems. Find a local steel supplier and visit with this in hand and you may leave happy.

Good luck.

Last edited: