R

raddatz

Ran into a problem tonight hooking up the throttle and mixture brackets for a new Superior IO-360 with horizontal injector. The problem is that Superiors new sump setup dosen't work with the Van's bracket kit so does anyone know if Superior supplies a kit or somebody else make something or do I have to machine my own brackets.
Steve

Not Superior but hope these help.

before.jpg

beforeafter.jpg

Thanks, but the new superior setup has the throttle boss in front right where the the #1 cylinder intake runner comes in. Just like the picture you sent but move your mount up to the front cylinder.

Check this tread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=26418&highlight=throttle+bracket

There, I've posted a few pics of my homemade throttle bracket.
I got the idea from another RV-builder on this forum.

Also, try a search on "Throttle bracket" on this forum and you'll get ALOT of info..

Good luck!

Good pictures of the setup.
Yes, you'll have to fabricate your own bracket as the one Van supplies do not have the same hole alignment. I used the same one from my ryton pump setup.

Be aware that the vetterman exaust now crosses underneath the sump oil drain plug. You'll have to move your quickdrain to a side port. I thought I'd save you the aggravation in the event you install the quickdrain prior to setting up the exhaust. Make sure you do a test fit.

Throttle Bracket

Here is a pic of my approach. I cut the Vans one down as I wanted it out of steel and I figured I could make this work.

Engine%20187.jpg

Then here it is after painting and installation.

Engine%20204.jpg

And then of course you will have the mixture bellcrank mod to contend with if you have the new aluminum sump replacement.:D

If you have a Precision FI Servo, I rotated the servo to put the throttle on the bottom and the mixture on the top. I made a bracket similar to the one on the sump boss shown above for the throttle and clamped the mixture cable on the corner of the sump coming around the pilot side of the engine. No bellcrank and only one bracket to make. Both cables have full authority. You just need to see what works best for you. Use some plastic tubing like pitot/static line to see what length you will need. My throttle cable was the standard length Vans sent for the IO-360. The mixture cable needed to be longer. I made the cable penetrations through the firewall recess. I could dig up some pictures. If your interested just email me.

Rocky

To make the mixture cable routing easier, have you considered reverse rotation mixture? Precision can modify your injector body so the mixture control works in the opposite sense.

Pete

Thanks for the response and pictures, I was just hoping I could buy one, but it looks as though I will make one. It just seems strange that Superior would put the bosses where they did when they know that just about all the push pull cables have the same distance between mount and rod end bearings.

Me too

On Superior engine, I redrilled the bracket so it was turned correctly. My problem is the throttle cable is too short. Even if I make a new bracket, I still need an extension. (horizontal induction).

I'm going to order a custom length cable tomorrow.

Last edited:
Not the cable

On Superior engine, I redrilled the bracket so it was turned correctly. My problem is the throttle cable is too short. Even if I make a new bracket, I still need an extension. (horizontal induction).

I'm going to order a custom length cable tomorrow.

I have to retract my statement. It "ain't" the cable. Its the bracket.

argggggg

The new sump has the throttle boss too far forward. I'm calling Superior tomorrow and see if they have bracket for the new sump.. Otherwise, it's fabrication time.

What I learned

I talked to Ken at Van's and James at Eagle Engines. The new sump has the throttle boss about 2 inches foward than the old composite sump. According to James, the old sump had been know to "blow out" if there was a kickback. The new sump is aluminum. Unfortunately the mount is in the wrong spot. It is also turned about 30 degrees and the holes are a bit more closely spaced.

I drilled out my mount to get the proper hole spacing but he bulkhead hole is 2 inches too far forward. The 50.5 inch friction lock throttle cable is correct length. Don't bother order another from ACS (which I did) because the length past the bulkhead fitting is too long and you would need to make the extension on the throttle bracket even longer. (yes I cussed).

Van's was helpful and here is the suggestion. Order some 50/1000 4130 steel plate. If you don't have it, 3-4 buck from ACS. Make a aluminum pattern to test. Trace pattern to the steel, cut it out and bend the bulkhead for the cable in a vice and have about a 1/8 inch radius on it. It will take a piece of wood and a mallet in your vice. Of course prime for rust pervention.

In essence, it is the same bracket but the arm needs to be 2 inches longer so it moves aft.

I'll just make a new bracket and take it over to the paint shop next week and install when I go to check on the progress.

Pattern for bracket

Here is the pattern I made from some aluminum. You still have to bend it. Van's suggested a 1/8" round on the bend. I also put about a 20 degree bend lengthwise since the orignal bracket had it for stiffening purposes. The test one backet I made was correct for the new Superior sump. Time to cut the steel one out.

Hope it helps someone else that hits this snag.

dscf0016zz4.jpg

Last edited: