SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
How would you all fix this problem. I have IO-360 Superior engine, new Ryton Sump, and Vetterman's Exhaust. I could just dent the exhaust or bend the arm on my fuel controller. I would like for some of you guys to give me some seggestions please. The arm itself, even without the bolt head or nut, hits the exhaust
Don

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2927/18657411mr5.jpg

Last edited:
Same set up

I too have the Superior IO-360, new sump, horizontal throttle body, but the throttle arm doesn't hit the Vetterman exhaust.

Call Vetterman and talk to them. They might tell you to send them that piece or pieces for little of no cost.

In the event that doesn't work, here is an opinion.

Shorten the arm first. Cut it just enough to eliminate the hole and re-drill. I would consider a "bend" in the exhaust if still too close. I would also want to have enough clearance to put a heat shield in there since it is so close. Also, look at the throttle cable bracket and see if you can bend up to gain any more clearance.

Again - this is just an opinion. I would go the company route first.

Shorten the Arm

I have a Superior IO-360 with a horizontal injection and Vetterman exhaust. I had exactly the same issue. However, the throttle arm did not have enough throw to begin with, so I drilled a new hole (being careful of edge distances) and shortened the arm, which solved both problems at once.

Pat

Could I not bend the arm a little bit

I appriciate your alls resposes, I e-mailed Vetterman and no respose yet. As far as drilling, that might work just fine, we will see....
Don

Swopped arm here

Hi.

I've the same setup and problem.

I contacted Precision Airmotive who made the Silver Hawk injection and asked if they had a STRAIGHT throttle arm.
They had and they where kind enough to swoop with me.

The new arm moved the linkage inboard so it's further away from the exhaust, thus more room. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Vetterman's help

The new arm is exactly what I need. Wanted you all to know that Larry Vetterman called me today and spent quite alot of time on the phone with me about all of the conflicts with the Ryton Sump.
Don

Sniffle valve

Did they say anything about the sniffle valve? Almost a problem. I had to put a head shield there because of the location on the sump???

Regarding throttle arm:
Can you joggle the exhaust setup to accomodate the arm swing range?
Mine worked fine without any mods required for the old or new sump.

The new sump did require I move the oil quick drain to the right side port.

Ours (RV-8) was close, but did not hit. However, we had trouble getting full throttle and idle via the Van's Quadrant.

The shorter Precision Arm is great - it not only is not bent so moves away from the exhaust, but is a little shorter, solving the RV-8 Quadrant problem. On an RV-7 with a push me / pull you throttle, the short arm will make the throttle a little less "sensitive".

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ