inktomi

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hi -

Before I make this large purchase, I wanted to run it by you all. I'm just starting my wiring, based on the ZipTip Vegas Wiring Diagram.

Please take a look at my saved Digikey order.. https://www.digikey.com/short/b554dpr0

I thought it would be nice to use the same-colored wires as in the diagram. Of course, I'll also label the wires, but keeping the colors the same as in their paperwork will make keeping things straight much easier. I added their Molex terminal to connect into the ZipTips (36792-1201) and then two more terminals for the other end of the wing to connect into the fuselage.

I would think that I'll use 100' of wire through the build (maybe?), but is PTFE wire acceptable? This is the wire that is specced for the ZipTips wiring. If it's usable in general, then I'll probably be able to use all this - if not, then buying the spool seems like a waste. Should I forget about using the colors and just rely on labels and buy larger spools of Tefzel wire and be done with it? What do you think?

Molex crimpers are expensive, but this is not a part of the build I want to skimp on unless the official crimpers are silly overkill, in which case something off-brand would work just as well?

And then, to actually attach the wire, I have a quickbuild wing which makes accessing the ribs a bit more difficult. It seems like adding a Panduit LHMS-S10 to each rib and zip-tieing the wire bundle to each would be best.. but not possible on a quickbuild wing due to access in order to drill & install the rivet or screw to hold the LHMS-S10 on. I'll probably have to use a tube like the Van's info, or maybe a Pex Pipe, and just tie it to "most" ribs? Is that ok?

I used the snap fitting in the wing where most people put the black conduit. I like to see my wiring instead of hiding them inside the conduit. I wrap a loop of silicone tape where they run close to the access hatch to reduce the change of abrasion from the screw heads sticking out.
I ordered at least 500ft of 22 guage tefzel from Aircraft Spruce to make the Dynon network cable and 100s fee of other bigger gauge from AS. The cost is a drop in the bucket compare to the cost of avionics. order more than you think you need because sometime you mess up and the remaining length of wire loom is no good for anything else.
I used the Molex crimper and I used the mini-fit Molex . They are smaller but they are PIA. Looking back, anything more than 2 wires, I wish I just use the DB9 connector. It's easier to remove the pins if you messed up. The Molex is just PIA if you make a mistake, plus they are more expensive than the DB9 in the long run.
Everything else, I often use the spade connectors.
But then, I was learning as I went a long so take everything I said with a grain of salt.

Sorry, I am not a fan of Molex connectors. After researching many different connectors, I settled on Deutsch connectors. Much better, imo.
Agreed, Molex seems to have understood their previous connectors su**ed and Aveo has specked these. They are a Deutsch "type" connector and at least much better than before. Testing so far seems to be very robust. They are listed as 36792-1201 Molex in Mouser. (Note rubber seal)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-11 211454.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-11 211454.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 27
Here's an updated link, sorry. Seems like if I change anything then it breaks. I won't touch it again!

What about PTFE vs Tefzel? I always thought Tefzel was the way to go, but the Aveo diagram specs PTFE.

It does seem like buying this amount of wire isn't gross overkill, from the comments so far. I need at least one Molex 36792-1201 per side since that's what is matching what's installed in the ZipTip side that I need to connect onto - so it makes sense to reuse the crimpers on the other connections. I will avoid the mini-fit Molex connectors though!

Here's an updated link, sorry. Seems like if I change anything then it breaks. I won't touch it again!

What about PTFE vs Tefzel? I always thought Tefzel was the way to go, but the Aveo diagram specs PTFE.

It does seem like buying this amount of wire isn't gross overkill, from the comments so far. I need at least one Molex 36792-1201 per side since that's what is matching what's installed in the ZipTip side that I need to connect onto - so it makes sense to reuse the crimpers on the other connections. I will avoid the mini-fit Molex connectors though!
Tefzel is tougher than Teflon (PTFE) and probably a better choice for the typical wire bundle/ clamp wiring. I also think it strips cleaner than Teflon using the common mechanical strippers. Teflon is more slippery and easier to pull through conduit bends. It would be interesting to know why they specify PTFE.

Last edited:
https://www.steinair.com/ (an advertiser on this site) has a good selection of tools & wire etc. (aircraft approved wire) which I do not believe what's in your cart is.
There are other sources available to - some sites allow you to become a distributor for slightly better pricing.

I ended up buying the wire from Stein. Better safe than sorry, and a better price on 50 feet instead of 100.

Seems like you are spending most of your $$ on crimpers, I would try to borrow from a friend or EAA Chapter tool crib if you can.

I didn't use any sealed connectors in my build, 18 years and no regrets, don't put connectors where they're likely to get wet, keeps the cost down as well. I used molex 0.062 and 0.093. If I did it now I would have ditched the 0.062 size for d-sub pins since I had to do a lot of d-sub anyway for various avionics.

Molex works great, as does d-sub, I hear good things about Deutsch as well. As long as you have a strain relief and mechanical crimp the connector system is likely to be very reliable.

Just try to consolidate down to as few connector systems as possible.

I have two 36 pin 0.062 connectors that let me pull my entire panel out of my plane, This is a huge advantage for maintenance and upgrades. When I put ADS-B in I just pulled the panel out and when home and did the installation.

Dsub works well for all the small power and signal connections, and then 0.093 molex carries up to 17 amps, plenty of power for most things in our planes. particularly on the panel.

And conduit... why do people use conduit? You're not wiring a house...

Bill

The short anwer is this is crazy. $160 for a 100‘ roll of #22 wire ($25 from Stein). $300 for 100’ of #18 wire ($60 from Stein). The tools are crazy as well.

The tools needed:
- BNC crimper
- Ring or tab terminal crimper
- D connector pin crimper
Everything else is limited use.

Carl

Thank you! I didn't end up needing to buy the tools, as I have a crimper from a previous project that should work. I bought the proper molex connector for the ziptips, the pins, and then all the wire from stein.

Next up, researching how best to run this through the wings. I need a connector at the wingtip (for the ziptips) and I was planning on putting one at the wing root as well eventually just in case the wings ever need to come off. Running the wires down the wings seems like something that there are a hundred different ways to do it. I just need to read some threads on wiring quickbuild wings and see what I like best.