NTex

Well Known Member
I'm sure someone has been down this road before.

Installing the strain reliefs on Garmin backshells, you can see the screws have pre-installed threadlocker. I've had to take these on/off a few times after I discovered some wiring errors and changed up the thru-cockpit wire routing.

9A%2520build%2520055.JPG

Anyway, I assume the threadlocker is one time use only, or maybe twice. But I can't find anywhere in the G3X manual that says it's ok to just use loctite... except for the following for the GMU-22 magnetometer:

If the GMU 22 is ever removed, the anti-rotation properties of the mounting screws must be restored. This may be done by replacing the screws with new Garmin part number 211-60037-08. If original screws must be re-used, coat screw threads with Loctite 242 (blue) thread-locking compound, Garmin part number 291-00023-02, or equivalent.

Note that this is for the mounting screws for the magnetometer brace, not a backshell.

I'm assuming it's OK to use the same blue loctite 242 for avionics backshells?

Thanks
Chris

I'm assuming it's OK to use the same blue loctite 242 for avionics backshells?

Thanks
Chris

Hello Chris,

Yes, Garmin supplies stainless steel screws with "nylon patches" in many of our connector and other installation kits as a convenience to prevent the customer from having to apply thread locker during assembly, but should you take the screw in/out a couple of times and want to apply replacement material like Loctite 242 from a tube or bottle, you may do so with similar results.

Thanks,
Steve