JimWoo50

Well Known Member
The 664 rod used to secure front of canopy track is about a half inch too short. Any one else have this problem and does anyone see a problem with replacing it with hardware store rod(coarser thread) and nuts. Thanks for advice. JFW.

I had the exact same problem. I fixed it by going to an industrial supply store and bought some threaded rod with the correct threads (1/4-28, I think.) If you go with the hardware store stuff, you will have to use different lock nuts because the threads are different.

The industrial supply place had 3 grades of material. If I remember correctly, they were Grade 2, Grade 8, and stainless. I bought the Grade 8 stuff because it seemed to match the piece Van's included in the kit.

I bought a 3 foot piece for $5.00. It was the shortest piece they had.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks.

I got the hardware store stuff with different lock nuts and jam nuts. I can always change it if I run across some stuff with the proper threads.

What you are looking for is a 'coupling nut'. It will allow you to extend the threaded rod by an arbitrary length.

What I did is use the scrap end of the flap threaded pushrods (that you have to cut to size) to make a coupling nut.

If you've got the parts on hand now, you may be able to look ahead in the plans, cut them to size, then have the material you need.

Mount the coupling nut with a 1/4" bolt on the bulkhead, screw the threaded rod into it until you have the right length, and voila!

Vern Little
9A