randylervold

Folks,
As announced on the vansairforce.net page, Doug has now enabled "thread subscriptions". I just wanted to add my two cents worth here and point out how valuable they are -- I'm not sure Doug did justice to this feature in his announcement. Here's the typical flow...

1) Browse threads on any forum, if you find one that is interesting that you would like to see follow-up posts on just go do "Thread Tools" menu and select "Subscribe to this Thread".

2) Whenever there is a post to this thread you will be automatically sent an e-mail with a direct link, no need to remember to go check the thread for subsequent posts!!

3) To manage all the threads you are subscribed to just go to the "Quick Links" menu and select "Subscribed Threads". Voila, all the threads you are subscribed to are listed right there, you can go directly to one to see what's new or unsubscribe to any of them that you no longer want to track. For example, I have 12 threads that I am currently subscribed to. Any time there is any activity on any of them I get an instant e-mail with a one-click direct link so I can quickly check it. Then, only as I have time do I peruse the whole forum where I again will subscribe to threads that look interesting.

I use this feature on a couple of other forums (non-aviation) that use the same forum engine and it's very useful and time efficient... you stay in touch with the topics YOU are interested in and don't have to continually scan all the message threads -- helps improve the signal to noise ratio ;-)

This forum engine has so many features that it can take a while to learn them all, just like any powerful tool. I think it's worth it though and Thread Subscriptions is one of the best features. Thanks Doug for enabling it!

FWIW,

Woo hoo! And I noticed a few days ago that I'm getting emails when people send me a forum private message. I'm glad that's finally enabled.

Also, in the User Control Panel under Edit Options, you can set up automatic subscriptions whenever you start or reply to a thread.

Dave