Don Patrick

Well Known Member
This is currently on ebay. I sopke with Van's and they said it should work for an -8, but there may be issues with the sump as it's set up for a retractable gear in the 172RG.

Not knowing alot about engines, would this work for an -8? Or is it too tired? The cylinders are an issue (can't be honed) and I'm thinking it may be worth the core?

Here are the details. Any thoughts would/input be appreciated!

This is a Lycoming O-360-F1A6 Engine that is currently up for auction. Engine was previously installed on a Cessna 172RG. S/N of the engine is L-28081-36A. Engine did NOT suffer a prop strike. Fresh take off...
•2144.7 SMOH (OH performed by Phoenix Aviation 05/1993)
•4611.00 HOURS TT
•180 HP
•ECI Cermachrome Cylinders:(
•Well Maintained
•Complete Logs after 1980
•Wide Deck
•Engine was last ran about 4- 6 weeks ago

Most recent compressions #1 72/80 #2 74/80 #3 74/80 #4 72/80

Hi Don...

I am no engine expert, although learning re the RV-3.

Via Link
O-360-F1A6
180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the A1G6 except that it has two Slick 4191 magnetos, a propeller governor drive on the crankcase left front and oil sump designed for retracted nose wheel clearance

O-360-A1G6
180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the A1G except has a crankshaft that is equipped with counterweights
If you are going for a VP prop, the governor location could be "interesting" - the RV cowlings are pretty tight up front.

The Sump may be an issue, but typically less of a problem for an RV-8 than an RV-8A. However, it is not too difficult to source and replace the sump for something more usual.

Counterweights: I think useful v RPM limits for certain engine/prop combinations? But by definition, extra weight...

Flywheel / starter ring: included?

Aft mounted Carb: Is there room in an RV(-8) cowling? Routing of intake air?

My main thought is:
2144.7 SMOH (OH performed by Phoenix Aviation 05/1993
If you were happy to just bolt the engine on, and run "on condition", and accept the inherent risks, you might get a bargain. However, were you to let an engineer near it, and look inside, my guess would be a major overhaul would be needed, for many $$$.

If the engine has been removed and now cannot be run, if the oil / filter has some hours on it since last replacement, a filter inspection and oil sample might be worthwhile... however, how compatible that is with an eBay auction I do not know ;)

I'll be interested to hear engine experts' advice :)

The last 172 RG I worked on had a Pressure Carb. I would only bid Low Core Value. I would not purchase and fly without going thru the motor and prop.And no Pressure Carbfor me !!!