db8

Well Known Member
About five years ago I purchased an oil cooler from a buddy. He purchased one with more rows for better cooling (he has an angle valve 360 where as I have a parallel valve 360) . I gathered it would be fine for me (it's an 11 row cooler).

My question is if I have to do anything with it (somehow flush it or something and with what) since it has a little bit of oil in it? Or, should it be okay to just hook up and not worry about?

I don't know if anybody might know the answer to this or have any thoughts. Thanks. Dave

I would send it to Pacific Oil Cooler

or some other service to clean and check out before I put a used oil cooler on my new engine. But that is just me....

Mike. Oil was drained and then put in the original box....guess I should probably pull it out and check it. I wonder what the best thing to flush it with is? Dave

You can flush it with gas

or kerosene. Put it in a bucket and cover it with either and let it sit for a couple of days.

With gloves on, take it out, drain it and shake left and right while there's gas in it and repeat.

After a few times of this go to a car wash and run pressurized soap through it and rinse well. Stick plugs of some sort in the open oil fittings so no dirt whatsoever gets in until you install it. Blow dry the insides and you'll be good to go.

Best,