RE:Air quality

Hi

I looked at that compressor but went with a Campbell Hausfeld 80 gal/16 CFM @ 90 PSI ($750 at Lowes aero)for the paint type I was shooting.

The big thing when painting is clean air... not to forget mentioning clean spray space / clean parts to paint. In regards to clean air for painting get a very good oil/water seperator and regulator to protect the air at the paint gun. Don't go with the cheap stuff like you see in the above picture.

Good luck in your build......

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A...

Last edited:
Two Stage

If you want something that keeps up with your rotary tools you will probably want a two stage compressor. I had one similar to what you are looking at and was not at all happy. It wouldnt keep up with my Blue Point die grinder and had trouble keeping up with the bigger paint jobs.

The larger the tank and the higher the pressure it maintains the less often it comes on.

I bought one from a service station that shut down and couldn't be happier. It is an old clunker, 80 gallon tank, two stage, cycles between 120 and 150 psi and keeps up with everything I have. If you can find a two stage used you will pay the same money as the one you are looking at (or a little more) but you will be much happier with it.

Go with it.

I wish I bought the IR. Mine is a 5hp from Lowe's ( made in USA supposedly ) and has had more than it's share of problems. The free shipping completes the deal.

Ditto

I have the exact same model, and love it. Haven't painted with it, however. Runs nice and relatively quiet.

Their warranty is good, also. My original one had a very tiny pinhole in a weld seam on the tank. I kept losing pressure slowly, and tried every fitting to no avail. Then one day my son came to the hangar, and said, "Hey Dad, what's that high-pitch squeal I keep hearing?" Of course, I couldn't hear it! :eek:

Within seconds, he had located the weld defect, and IR replaced the entire machine, no question. :cool: Apparently a defect in the pressure vessel (tank) is a BIG deal to manufacturers.

Last edited:
I bought the same one from Northern tools. It served me well for building one plane and plan to keep using it if I build another.