vfr800

Well Known Member
I have absolutely no insider info, but I'm just hoping that this is the year a newer version of the 430/530 series is announced. Shoot, it was first introduced in 1997 from what I can tell. Isn't it time for a newer model? A certain avionics shop sold their demo 430w unit recently, Doug has his panel being revised and it will be on display at AirVenture-- does it mean what I think it means?!? Probably not, but I'm very curious what Garmin news is around the corner...

Anyone else with any specific guesses/desires for Garmin's news at Oshkosh? This could be fun if anyone ends up being right.

(Anyone truly in-the-know is not allowed to participate, including their family members! :) I'm sure they're sworn to secrecy any way. All responses are purely speculative.)

Ryan -- panel version 2.0 coming in early July, there's always v2.1 or 3.0 if needed!

I'm hoping for the same thing, and I'm specifically delaying my avionics purchases to see if there is anything announced. I would have expected the same thing over the last few years though, so I'm certainly not counting on this year being different.

A certain avionics shop sold their demo 430w unit recently, Doug has his panel being revised and it will be on display at AirVenture-- does it mean what I think it means?!?

(Anyone truly in-the-know is not allowed to participate, including their family members! :) I'm sure they're sworn to secrecy any way. All responses are purely speculative.)

Ryan -- panel version 2.0 coming in early July, there's always v2.1 or 3.0 if needed!

Darn! Just when there is a game where I have a unfair advantage, I don't get to play! :p

I do happen to know that D.R.'s panel will be pretty cool!

Cheers,
Stein

P.S....should be a fun OSH this year!!! :D

Apparently I get to swelter in the tent out by Doug's plane all week... might have to see if I can get my hands on a stack of hats to trade for cold beverages from kind passers-by! ;)

mcb

I have absolutely no insider info, but I'm just hoping that this is the year a newer version of the 430/530 series is announced.
My wish is almost the same as yours. I really wish they would come up with an IFR certified GPS module for their panel mounted EFIS'. I would pull out my panel mounted 696 in the blink of an eye if I could replace it with a G3X and not have to buy a 430W as well.

Along the same lines; a flight planning program for your PC that mimics the G3X interface and lets you transfer the plan using an SD card.

Last edited:
It is always fun to see which vendors have the "buzz" product of OSH. It only gets me more excited for "The Big Show"!

Last edited:
Along the same lines; a flight planning program for your PC that mimics the G3X interface and lets you transfer the plan using an SD card.

You can actually do this today... Garmin doesn't make a PC flight planning tool, but there are a variety of 3rd party programs (Jeppesen and others) and websites (e.g. FltPlan.com) that will let you export a flight plan to a data card, then import it to your G3X system or 430W/530W.

mcb

It is always fun to see which vendors have the "buzz" product of OSH. It only gets my more excited for "The Big Show"!

Almost makes you want to fly in a week early and watch the vendor trucks unload their stuff, sort of like shoppers camping out over night at a mall the day after Christmas.

I may fly in a day or so early but not for that reason. I have a feeling HBC will be crowded again this year.

Glad to see there are people out there with money to spend on new stuff. Keeps the economy going. So far, the ancient 295 I have is doing a good job getting me where I want to go and back. Lots of years with no service issues whatever. :)

Replacement for 300XL

I would like to see a panel mount better priced than a 430 that I could replace my 300xl with for VFR use.

I have to agree with Gary.

I would like to see a panel mount better priced than a 430 that I could replace my 300xl with for VFR use.

The 250/300XL has been out for a long time with no practical upgrades.
Seem like Garmin is no longer interested in us "poor" guys.

The best thing about a 430 replacement for me would be the effect it would have on the used market: more supply, less demand = lower price for me!

Darn! Just when there is a game where I have a unfair advantage, I don't get to play! :p

I do happen to know that D.R.'s panel will be pretty cool!

Cheers,
Stein

So Stein, should I wait on purchasing a new gps/nav/comm for a C182 until after OSH? OK, now stop laughing at me!

You won't get my 430W on the used market. It works fine. I do not need the latest and greatest avionics, gadget or foo foo item.

Well,you can figure every 5yrs upgrades come out. First 2 yrs of the product the companies get their BETA testers and public input for their next product. Theres R & D. Assigned product to manufacturer. Fair amount of product produced and used by BETA testers. Either refine or put the product out for sale and the cycle goes on. I think if the economy had stayed strong you might had not seen the 500 series in the NUVI Auto GPS shell but a bit larger like the marine unit. Hard telling. I think Garmin as a leader will always be ahead. Products by other companies change a R & D path sometimes because some our company brings out the new idea first. Heres a idea I threw out several years ago. Large TV stations broadcast NEXRAD radar images so why couldn't a EFIS have a freq to accept those FREE images rather than buying a subscription. Isn't that what ADS-B is all about! When the IPAD was introduced and the apps came out for aviation you coulld probably bet that threw a monkey wrench into R & D of some companies. And the story goes on! Ron in Oregon

The 250/300XL has been out for a long time with no practical upgrades.
Seem like Garmin is no longer interested in us "poor" guys.

Yup. I like the idea of a cheaper IFR capable alternative to a 430 or 530, but the 300XL just seems outdated and not really user friendly... at least that's the impression I get from reading the manual. All of these RV panels with acres of glass fed by dual 430/530s are indeed impressive, but just waay too expensive for me.

Tell ya what though, I'm thinking Narco is gonna just blow us away this year at the big show. Lotsa innovation there, I mean they have MK-12D nav/coms and transponders! Sweeeet.

^ Needs a new Garmin hat. Will buy beverages for hat! :)

Apparently I get to swelter in the tent out by Doug's plane all week... might have to see if I can get my hands on a stack of hats to trade for cold beverages from kind passers-by! ;)

mcb

Tell ya what though, I'm thinking Narco is gonna just blow us away this year at the big show. Lotsa innovation there, I mean they have MK-12D nav/coms and transponders! Sweeeet.

Talk about advanced technology - Narco had it years ago! Single-knob tuning for both Comm and Nav in the MkIII Omnigator! :Dfoolproof, so simple a child could operate it. Certified with no external indicator - the choice of private pilots everywhere. What a unit - we need to bring that back....I'll have to see if I still have mine somewhere in a box....;)

Talk about advanced technology - Narco had it years ago! Single-knob tuning for both Comm and Nav in the MkIII Omnigator

I'll betcha Narco will update the Omnigator with a GPS receiver and stomp Garmin into the dirt.

Here's my dream panel lineup! The MkIII is bottom right; just think of the all weather capability...
narcolineup68.jpg