cfsanford

Thought about posting under "Best or most awesome picture of your RV on the ground"..

Then I thought ..."Nah, not yet" ... but making progress! Should still qualify as "... on the ground".
IMG_2755.JPG

Looks good!

The shop looks awfully neat too!
Please promise to post a photo of the shop when you are about two weeks from flying. If it's still that neat I'll buy you drink!

Mark

Those aren't really tools

hanging up there. It is poster of tools taped to the wall to make you THINK there are tools. The other side of the building area looks like the rest of ours!!!

Your going to need a few more of those parts bins. I have three tall ones and would like to have another.
Clecos: Empty coffee cans (they are now plastic) are great for storage. In addition, the lid seals them pretty air tight.
Don't you just love it? You post a great pic of your airplane progress and everybody jumps in and critiques your shop. We are all here to help.

A prediction....

This is going to be one beautiful RV. I have shop envy.:eek:

And a fellow Texan to boot!

Last edited:
Must be that neat all the time...

My shop didn't even start out that neat, I would guess that Mr. Sanford will keep that shop looking like that through the build, as well as build a very clean airplane. As based on the tools hanging on the wall, he is no stranger to tools, and has not just started his collection.

:)

Great tool

What are you going to use the draw knife in the upper left corner for?

Shaping the wings.

Nice setup.

That Black and Decker "pivot driver" inline power screw drive that is stored just above the bags of clecos, will be your best friend during your inspections.......

The shop is not complete. Where are the refrigerator, a Mac and a chair? :D

Vlad - in the corner (center picture below) - comfortable chair, great old iMac and small refrig (under desktop). Also a small TV to left of mac (wall-mounted) for the all-important game days!

Great tool
What are you going to use the draw knife in the upper left corner for?
Shaping the wings.

Jerry - the draw knife is a remnant of my woodworking days. The great thing about this new (RV8) project is - you guessed it! - NEW TOOLS (or actually a combination of borrowed, bought used and bought new tools). About the only things that have really proved useful from the woodworking days (which I still dive into occasionally) are measuring tools (tape measures, rules, right angles, etc.), clamps (I don't think you can ever have too many) and of course the ever useful bandsaw and drill press. By the way, I'm a huge fan of Grizzly power tools - great value for the money! Their catalogue and web site are absolutely lethal - never knew there were so many great power tools. Now if I just knew how to use them!!

I see a problem coming...
...if you get any more tools, you're going to need a bigger wall.

Mike - It gets even worse. I've filled up three walls (below) and could still use more! Guess hanging from the ceiling comes next!!

IMG_2648.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG

Seriously, I know I'm very fortunate to have this shop. For 25 years I worked out of a home shop that was literally the size of a coat closet. We built an "empty nest" home and downsized a few years ago when the last of the kids left, but my wife was very supportive of "upsizing" the shop. I dreamed of someday starting an RV project, and sized accordingly. I'm enjoying every minute of working in it. I have infinite respect for the variety of working environments that RV builders use for aircraft construction. I'll never have half the skill that I see displayed daily on this site - regardless of the shop or tools! Thanks to all of you who so generously share your experience!! And Doug - thanks again for the site!! My 2011 contribution is on its way.

Fagg :eek:

Last edited:
would you happen to be

Dr. Sanford with a Cirus at Johnson Aviation (TYR)? IF so we have spoke several times. Welcome to the group.. Building a 7

Randy

Dave
The wall siding is MDF slat wall, with 3" center grooves. Comes in 4' x 8' sheets with various color options including the white that I used. We special-ordered from a local lumber yard - as I recall about $20-25/sheet 3 yrs ago. I simply installed over existing drywall (could also go directly on studs). The hardware is available on-line from dealers specializing in commercial/retail applications (just Google "slat wall") - most hooks, shelf brackets, etc. are anywhere from 25 cents to $1-2, with very heavy duty hangers (I used for chainsaw, disc grinder, etc.) for $5-10 each. Incredible variety of options and MUCH sturdier than pegboard systems - hence the wide commercial applications. The same stuff is used by some "high-end" custom garage storage systems, but for several times more $$$. The white color made for a very bright work area, and is easy to vacuum clean (very helpful in dusty shop environments). My only regret is that I didn't carry the siding all the way to the top of my 12' ceiling. I may yet go back and do that, as I want a safe storage area to "hang" completed components like the empennage.
Fagg