i use a stand

I have my 8 inch HF buffer with deburring wheel on one side and buffing wheel on the other sitting on a HF stand.

I like the stand because I have the thing setting by the garage door so I can open the door and sweep out the dust. Also frees up the bench, and lets me hold the piece without table interference.

I know that on some of the cheaper stands, i.e., those without cast iron bases and generally lighter construction, they will rumble and "walk around" unless bolted to the concrete floor. If you only have lightweight Scotchbrite wheels on the grinder though, may be OK.
The main advantage to a stand is the ability to work with larger pieces that would otherwise interfere with the workbench.

Stand grinder?

The bench is really the wrong place for a grinder/buffer. It generates grit and crud and is frequently in the way. I have a HB stand that I bought years ago and it works great. Go for it.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Stands are a good deal better than the bench mount

I bought mine from Sears and it was a valuable tool and the stand allowed me to work more freely and keep the mess off of the work bench.

Bob Axsom

I had mine mounted on a small stand with rollers, about 2'x2' table area, which also had the drill press, vice, and bench disk sander. Works great and keeps all the dirt on one side of the shop (well, almost).

Stand - Also, with a bit of duct tape and the floor vacum attachment, you can hook your shop vac up and keep all the aluminum dust out of the air. Works great.

I purchased the $17.99 stand and was disappointed enough in it that I didn't even assemble it. The vertical piece is a thin wall pipe, and it is so much smaller than the hole in the base that I would need to fabricate a shim in order to get a good fit. Pretty shoddy. Perhaps the stand that Seth mentioned is a better way to go.

Mine is mounted on a steel pipe which is welded to a railroad wheel. It is solid, yet I can tilt it and roll it to wherever I want it. On top of the pipe is a sort of "T" mount with the grinder on one side and a 4" belt sander on the other.

4 leg HF for me

The 4 leg also has a shelf for water cup or spare wheels. I find most of these type stands are too short. so I screwed some 4x4's and plywood in order to raise it up for a more comfortable working height. I'm 6', YMMV.

RV7007.jpg

Bingelis and Piavis

I like (and have) the roll around table with a gang of tools mounted to it. This system was promoted by Bingelis for years, and mentiond by Jim in a previous post. I think the singular tool post mounts are either too wobbly, or if large enough not to be wobbly, are a waste of space with only one tool mounted

In my particular case, I have the bench grinder with an oxide wheel and the scotchbrite wheel, a dual wheel buffer, bench drill press, and a scroll saw mounted to a small but heavy iron table on 4 wheels that I bought for 50 cents at a scrap yard. The under table area is storage for a bunch of fabrication power hand tools.

Repeat after me:
Put everything on wheels, put everything on wheels, put everything on wheels..........:)

Mine is currently sitting on a bench... Do any of you have your bench grinder mounted on a stand? Are there any pros or cons of having it mounted on a stand vs bench? Reason I'm asking is because HF has one on sale for $17.99 and thought about getting one just to free up some table space.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=42986

I have one of these sitting in the corner of my garage. You can have it, but it will probably cost more than $18 to ship. The cast base wasn't square, so it couldn't ever be leveled. This almost forced you to bolt it to the floor.

I have the one Seth mentioned. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...bCategoryName== It works great. I've had no issues with the stand wanting to walk across the floor. There is enough weight to hold it in place just fine.

Harobr Freight makes a variety of stands like this with different dimensions. I used one of the larger ones for my DRDT-2. http://mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rleffler&project=260&category=2196&log=27927&row=2

A couple of options

Depending upon your layout, I've mounted a grinder to a piece of 4 or 6 " channel iron, drilled the bench for mounting and let the grinder "project" of the face of the bench. This allows you to pull it and if use is occasional this works ok. Otherwise, get some 1 1/2" angle and weld up a couple stiff leg wall brackets and mount it where it will make the least mess.

'Recycle, it's easy to do'

I used the long skinny packing crate that my parts came in (from Van's) and built a stand for my grinder. It's held up fine for years and the wood dampens vibration. (ever fly in a plane with wood wings?):D

I took the EAA Workbench Plans, cut the long tabletop dimension in half so the table is square, mounted a bandsaw, a small vice, my grinder (scotchbrite and buffer wheels) and a HF 1" belt/disc sander on it. A lower shelf contains belts, blades and a couple of multi plug units. I loved it because it's fairly mobile, but stable enough not to rattle around when any of the equipment on it is running. I WILL use it for the next plane. Problem with hard mounting to a grinder stand is...that's where it is. You'll find you use your 1" belt sander a lot to rough shape parts and it's nice to be able to take one step to the left and then smooth them on the scotchbrite. I corner mounted all my tools so I wouldn't be hampered by the size of the piece I was working...

Grinder, aluminum dust?

Webb,

Please don't tell us that you are using your grinder on aluminum. Hopefully, you are just using the ScotchBrite Wheel on aluminum.

Tracy.

I have one of the single post HF ones, and it wobbles and walks badly. I usually end up putting my foot on one of the feet but then the back still wants to rotate.

I've been thinking about throwing a sandbag or 2 under it, but the wooden floor box might be even better. I see another project in my future.. :D